Fifty Thousand Words in Thirty Days or Less

It was last Fall – my first autumn with a Twitter account – that I discovered the month of November is not only one in which men put away the razors, but also one in which creative writers are challenged to put 50,000 words to the page. The event, or craze, or movement, or whatever it may be termed, is known as National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo, for short), and it began fifteen years ago in 1999.

The account on Twitter that brought NaNoWriMo to my attention was one of my favorites – Electric Literature. Their motto is: “Saving literature one reader at a time.” They post quotes from famous writers, writing advice, retweets of contemporary writers, and lots of other good stuff.

But I digress. The real reason for this post is to declare that I accepted the challenge of NaNoWriMo2014 because it pushes me to do something I already love anyway, creative fiction writing. Fifty thousand words in thirty days – roughly 1,667 words per day – is no small feat, though, and to add that on top of a full-time college class schedule makes things extra difficult. Regretfully, we are now nearing the end of Day 10, and my piece sits at a mere 1,209 words (only 15,458 words shy of the ten day benchmark!). It’s not that I don’t have the motivation to write, it’s all this other pesky homework that gets in the way.

Honestly, I’ll be content if I can reach even half the goal at 25,000. But in years to come, I hope to expand on that and reach the 50k mark. I would encourage other fiction fanatics to try their hand at this. I can only imagine the amount of accomplishment that must be felt when the clock strikes 11:59 PM on November 30th, and those 50,000 words are there on that page.

Happy writing!Screen Shot 2014-11-10 at 6.17.43 PM