Grammar and My Father

My father is a strict grammarian and self-titled walking Warriner’s who simply will not tolerate incorrect usage. At the dinner table, we take words very seriously.  As a family, we have learned the proper usage of lie, lay lain versus lay, laid and laid (though I’m pretty sure using lain correctly in a sentence would earn me a beat down from my friends).  We also learn the differences among (not between) imminent, eminent and immanent. Then there’s the whole flammable/inflammable thing.  Even a single superfluous “like” can cost the offender dessert.  Coming from this environment, I really cant stand it when people say “like” in between every word. However, I have to admit that sometimes I do it too. Going home for thanksgiving and winter break is always a wake up call in this regard. “LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE,” my dad yells to interrupt my speech if I am abusing the filler word. Basically, I love and hate grammar. There are subtle grammar rules that most people wouldn’t know, but these remind my most of my father. Hearing the over use of the word “like” also reminds me of my dad, but in a different light. From this blog, I hope you can all learn to appreciate grammar, and reduce the likes because of it.

One thought to “Grammar and My Father”

1. I think it’s great that your dad is so concerned with grammar. Grammar is an important thing to teach your children if you want them to speak properly. In my opinion, it is very distracting when people don’t speak consistently with grammar conventions; it detracts from the point being made. Furthermore, I am very appreciative of your father’s hatred of filler words – if everyone’s parents detested filler words people would get to their point much more quickly, and always in an intelligible way. I’ll admit, I’m guilty of overusing the LIKE filler (my uncle recently asked me if I’m “so busy,” or “like so busy”), but I’m making an effort to cut it out. Thanks for this great reminder!