Help a Sista Out.

I need some help.

Desperately.

I’ve had ideas floating around in my head for Project III, but none of them seem good enough. I’m not satisfied with anything I’ve come up with so far. And as ashamed as I am to admit this, I’m dangerously close to settling on an idea I’m not all that enthused about.

*gasp* “Catherine, did you just use the “s” word on the Minor in Writing blog?!”

Yes, yes I did. I was out of line, but I do desperately need someone to talk to or comment on this post. I don’t want to settle–no one ever wants to settle–but, this project (as you all know) is a large undertaking and I need to get cracking, ASAP.  So please, for the well-being of not only your fellow cohort, but also the  integrity of the Minor in Writing Program, help.

My Project II was something I deemed an “anti-travel guide.” In short, it is a collection of six stories. Those six stories described six separate disasters I landed myself during the process of travel. I call it an “anti-travel guide,” because accompanying each of the anecdotes is a tip and a moral. For example, Tip #5 is “Don’t run red lights,” and the moral of that anecdote is “Don’t run a red light (especially the day before your roads test) or your mother will not allow you to take aforementioned roads test.” The stories are an attempt at humor, mostly sarcastic humor, so I want the self-depricating, light tone to continue into my remediation.

I’ve had the idea to do humorous video-interviews, similar to those of “Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis.” I’d interview people who have funny stories about their traveling experiences and have them tell their story. But how do I galvanize people (with enough confidence to go on camera) to take time out of their busy schedules, and go all the way to the dude and film interviews in front of the green screen? It just doesn’t seem reasonably feasible to me.

Another idea I had was to make a satirical “travel blog.” Mocking the glamorous pictures and stories of internet-famous travelers. But this idea just feels bleh. I myself wouldn’t even want to explore this satirical blog, so how can I expect my audience to want to?

Another idea was to make a storyboard for each of my anecdotes. Has anyone seen Argo? Do you know the scene where the hostages and Ben Affleck are trying to get back home through the airport and they get stopped by security? Then one of the hostages uses the storyboards from the “movie” to convince security that they are indeed a “film crew from Canada.” Well, if you haven’t seen Argo or don’t remember that scene, hopefully you still know what a storyboard is. Anyways, the idea was to draw/create comic-like storyboards that depict the sequence of events in each of my anecdotes. My anecdotes are very sequential, so this medium would lend itself to my project. My concern? I guess my only gripe with this idea is the feeling that I can do better, utilize the awesome resources at my disposal, create something more impressive. Alas, maybe I cannot.

So I ask unto you all: whatcha think? Do any of my idea have promise? Do you have suggestions, tweaks, solutions to any of my current ideas? Or did my cathartic brainstorm spark any other ideas in you? Please help a sista out and comment below if you have anything to say, anything to say at all. Thanks for listening and best of luck with your projects. Onward!