I almost cried in the Dude… a story by Elizabeth McLaughlin

I hadn’t been to the Dude (the North Campus library for you freshman Markley kids) in over 2 years. So when a friend asked if I wanted to study there Sunday night, I jumped at the opportunity. The dude!? What a magical place. I can’t wait.

I had planned to spend my Sunday evening working on a paper for another class, but as I opened my laptop to begin work, my capstone project website was on the screen.

“Come see my capstone project!” I told my friend. I was so excited to show him my hard work.

But a funny little thing happened. As I went to click on the various pages, some of the text and photos weren’t loading, and my pages were white, blank, nothing-ness. I clicked refresh patiently. Maybe the Dude has bad wifi? But nothing changed. I logged out of Wix to reload the site entirely. Nothing.

I start to panic.

I refresh again. Log out again. Try opening Chrome again. Nothing.

“It’s gone,” I say to my friend.

I search my computer for a Word doc. Maybe I kept the written portion of the website in a Word doc. Maybe this was an easy fix.

Nothing.

I feel myself start to do that thing where you’re about to cry.

I can’t cry in the Dude. That’s so embarrassing.

My friend tells me to get it together. Shit happens, and I will just have to redo it.

He’s really supportive.

Now I’m really about to cry. I start frantically Googling ways to restore a Wix page. I HAD JUST WORKED ON THE SITE EARLIER IN THE DAY AND SAVED IT. WHY WAS THIS HAPPENING TO ME. I ALWAYS SAVE MY WORK. My heart is racing. I can’t see the damn laptop screen because I’m ABOUT TO CRY IN THE DUDE.

But wait. What is this? A way to look at SITE HISTORY!? I follow the steps of “help” post. All of a sudden I can breathe again. My site had made a copy of itself on November 7. I can see what was on the screen. I haven’t lost all my prose, all my research. It’s going to be okay.

My friend tells me to calm down and get some work done. I want to hit him. He has no idea what this capstone project means. But you guys do.

Long story short, I’m going to have to re-input all the photos, but I won’t have to rewrite hundreds of words. The moral of the story is don’t go to the Dude. I think the wifi is weird. Maybe the library was angry I hadn’t visited in a while.

Oh, and also save your work.

One thought to “I almost cried in the Dude… a story by Elizabeth McLaughlin”

1. As someone who spends more time in the Dude than I’d like to admit, I love this post and express my deepest condolences. First of all, the Wifi is indeed terrible, especially in certain pockets on the second floor, so it’s not just your imagination. Second, I’m so happy you recovered your page! It’s like the whole you-don’t-know-what-you-have-till-it’s-gone thing. (Third, I may or may not have cried in the Dude before. It does that to you.)