I will never go into animation

While I was working on the final scenes of my remediation project (a stop-motion animation) at my computer at about 6 a.m. last Wednesday morning, where I had been since about 11 p.m. the night before, I began to hate just about everything. I was quickly losing patience in compiling tiny images which would be shown for 0.1 seconds before disappearing, and I was tired past the point of being tired.

Dog with wide eyes, to say the least.
I might have looked like this.
[Image from Flickr user MTSOfan]
The worst part is that I’m not in love with the final product. I mean, it’s fine and resembles what I had envisioned it would look like, but when I finally hit that submit button Wednesday night, I didn’t feel accomplished. Relieved, sure, and very glad to be embarking on a much-deserved 4-day weekend, but not accomplished.

I guess stop-motion animations just don’t do it for me.

When I submit an essay that I’ve spent weeks obsessing over, I feel like I’m sending my baby on its way, off to do better things. When I submitted my animation — well, it was more of a “good riddance” type of situation.

It’s not that I was all half-assed in throwing a bunch of pictures together just to finish; believe me, I don’t pull all-nighters for stuff I don’t care about. I really cared about my project. I just didn’t enjoy making it very much.

I think this might be a good indication that I should stick to writing. You guys can argue all you want about how pictures and videos and all that jazz counts as writing – I’ll never agree.

There’s just something about actually writing.

————————————————————————————————————————-

Here is a link to my final project if you are interested:

Brie Winnega

Hey, I'm Brie. I'm an English major who's addicted to reading, writing, and ponytails.

4 thoughts to “I will never go into animation”

1. You’re video was amazing! I loved it! I am amazed you made that for a writing class. What’s really interesting is that you wrote you didn’t get the same validation from creating that video as you do from writing. And as you wrote, it is clear you put a lot of time and effort into it. I think that says a lot about you. You know what you like, but even when you don’t really like something you still give it your all. It would have been so easy for you to just give up or sloppily put something together, but you didn’t. I think that’s really cool.

2. I don’t know how you did this, Brie, but it is amazing! I totally understand how you could feel relieved rather than accomplished and satisfied when you turned in your project, but you should be really proud of the work you put into your project despite not enjoying it very much. I can definitely tell that you put a lot of effort into your project. You thought about the little details, and I still think the animation you created better communicated your point than an info graphic would. The animation really affected me, and I think that’s what you wanted. While you didn’t really enjoy the process of creating your project, you can definitely enjoy the result. I think people are going to love it like I do.

3. Wow—your animation gave me chills. As Lia said, even though you were frustrated with the medium, you didn’t let this frustration inhibit the quality of your work. While your project turned out great, I can see where you’re coming from with the argument that other media that tangentially relate to writing are not the same as good old-fashioned writing. We are all drawn toward various creative outlets, and stop-motion animation is clearly a much different creative outlet from regular writing, even though it includes some elements of writing. But props to you for going out of your comfort zone and trying something new, despite the fact that you didn’t enjoy it! The final product was definitely a success!