Looking through a different Lens

Since I have used the Cannon Vixia, a small automatically adjusting camcorder, and traditional DSLR cameras, I thought to try a different piece of equipment. I tried the Lumix, a camera that can automatically adjust but functions and looks more like a Nikon/Cannon typical DSLR. I regarded this camera as a sort of in-between of the two being that I would be using its automatic instead of manual setting. Firstly I learned that that the automatic setting doesn’t always make things easier. The shot when automatically set up often was over-exposed or focused not on the subject but on something more distant. Thus, I did have to do some minor manual adjustments. From there, however, it was useful to have the automatic setting to adjust to changes in the environment such as more or less natural lighting from surrounding windows. This enabled me to focus more on the interview rather than technical adjustments.

Once past the initial frustrations of technical adjustments in the beginning, the automatic setting proved to be an advantage for the most part. The other aspect that I still need to explore is the quality. I struggled a bit with the autofocus ability and this tutorial proved useful, although simplified. On the small display screen of the Lumix the quality looked good but when imported, it looked a bit grainy. Before I jump into the compelling, substantiate bulk of interviews for my project, I hope to maximize the quality of this camera so that it appears high quality when imported onto my computer.

Anisha Nandi

I am a Communications and SAC double major pursuing a career in broadcast journalism. I am originally form New York but love being at U of M. I enjoy playing soccer, spending time with my family and being outdoors. I have always loved writing, especially creatively.

3 thoughts to “Looking through a different Lens”

1. Anisha,

From our conversations about your movie. I can tell you are passionate about the subject, and I really look forward to the final project. I applaud your use of a camera type you are not familiar with as you have seemed very eager to explore realms you have not yet explored with this project. I have only ever used automatic cameras, and for that reason, I enjoyed watching the tutorial you posted and found it to be very straightforward and easy to follow in terms of learning how to operate the camera you chose. Although the professional-ness of the shots are important in making your video appeal to your audience, the actual interviews and how your interview-ees respond to your questions is what is going to ultimately make your video successful. Can’t wait to find out how they go!

2. Anisha—It looks like you gave a lot of thought and work into figuring out the different cameras you would use for our remediation project. I definitely agree that you should go with the route that would allow you to focus more on your interview than any other technical things because you want to focus on your content. I hope you are able to figure out which camcorder you want to utilize for this to create the best quality as well as focusing on your content.

I do appreciate you looking into the different possibilities because I have not considered using anything else besides my iPhone 6 to video record my interviews and then use a go pro to record some things at my practice. I definitely think I need to look into my other possibilities. Good luck!

3. Anisha,
    It is clear from your blog that you have done a lot of research regarding the technology you want to use for your Remediation project. The tutorial you added was a great suggestion for further study on the type of equipment you used. After reading your success described in your post, I plan on researching the device I am going to film my videos with. I also found it very helpful to hear your views on the different options available while using your camera and also the areas you want to focus on to improve the quality of the videos. I had not thought about this with regards to my videos; I will now be sure to be aware of the fact that the video may appear more grainy when downloaded than on the screen of the actual device. I can’t wait to see how your videos turn out!