Meghan with an H

There are so many rants I could go on about grammar. I am one of those grammar freaks who gets ridiculously irritated by the simple misuse of your or you’re. I could write hundreds of words about how I hate when people incorrectly use their, there, or they’re. But I think those rants are so “been-there, done-that.” I’ve seen numerous twitter posts exclaiming people’s disgust with these errors, and even more comments on several social media sites where people are correcting their friends’ grammar mistakes. I’m not going to to that. Instead of going on a grammar rant, I’m going to go on a spelling rant.

For me, spelling someone’s name correctly is a matter of respect. My entire life, people have constantly spelled my name incorrectly. It’s MegHan. Not Megan, Meagan, Meaghan, Meagen, or any other variation you can think of.

I understand that it might be difficult because there are so many different spellings for one name, which is why I usually allow people a first-time misspelling. I usually correct them in a jokingly way, but from then on…I expect the correct spelling. I have this one friend (who shall remain unnamed) that I have known for about five or six years now, and he still spells my name incorrectly EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. Like, come on man! It’s not thaaaat hard.

What really gets me is Facebook posts, however. Every year on my birthday, I will receive several “happy birthday” posts where people still spell my name wrong. SERIOUSLY? It is written right there above the post. It clearly says, “MegHan Brown.” Therefore, you should write: “Happy birthday MegHan!!” Not “Happy birthday Megan!” No No No No No!!! It just doesn’t make sense to me how you can spell my name wrong, when its written on the same exact page. It’s really not that hard to read it.

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 2.05.37 PM Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 2.07.14 PM

To most people it may not seem like that big of a deal. Yes it’s only one letter. But to me, it is extremely irking. Sometimes I wish my parents would’ve named me something with less variations in spelling. But I love my name…So please, please, please remember.

It’s Meghan with an H.

One thought to “Meghan with an H”

1. Meghan, I loved this post! I strongly identify with your annoyance at the constant mis-spelling of your name, as I share the same struggle on a daily basis. My name is Maya, NOT Maia or Mya or Maiah or anything else, contrary, apparently, to the belief of my acquaintances, teachers, and Starbucks baristas. I agree that as a matter of respect, others should learn the proper spelling of your name since, as you put it, its not that hard.