No hiding online

While I don’t agree with Clark on all her points, I definitely agree with her approach to teaching. At this point, I can honestly say I think most classes should be done through the internet. And I think it’s cool that Writing 220 is all done through a Google Drive, which is a step in the right direction. Let me rephrase to make sure my point is clear: I think classes should be done predominantly online, with some paper components. There is still some value to paper; at least for now.

Anyways, one of Clark’s points really stuck out to me. She says, “In my classes, I am challenging traditional notions of essayistic literacy by pushing students to make their writing¬†public and to use digital media. In these classes, students either keep personal blogs, focused on issues related to our¬†class theme, or they contribute to a class blog” (34). Reading this made me smile because this is something that I have always thought about. What I love most about this new digital culture and digital rhetoric is the accountability it holds writers to. Everything can be seen by anyone. Haven’t you ever wondered what your peers writing is like? Now, instead of just watching a peer turn in a paper to a teacher and wondering what they said, you can see all their writing online. (Just like this post!).

By doing this, students will revise their work more in fear that their peers will see it. Students are no longer just bound by their instructors, but rather their friends as well. If that’s not scary, I don’t know what is. As bad as it may seem, though, it is only to the writer’s benefit.

Additionally, a point that stuck out to me was Clark’s view on ePortfolios. Clark says, “ePortfolios first serve as a symbol of the move from a culture of paper information storage to digital information storage” (29). Working on my own ePortfolio, I am finding this process enjoyable. When it is all said and done, I am energized at the prospect of having my own website that can showcase all my writing and who I am as person. In a sense, it’s like a resume but better!

Jason Rubinstein

A half-Argentinean sports writer for The Michigan Daily. Previous intern at the New York Daily News. Siracha sauce enthusiast. Avid Chicago Sports fan. Once turned down a bid from AEPi.