Planning isn’t my strong suit

If you want to see the hackiest storyboard ever, I’m your gal.

For my remediation project, my original intent was to take my short story (a criticism of social media) and create an infographic (or a series of infographics). I was going to make my own survey and everything – in fact, I spent a good hour coming up with a rough draft:

Screenshot of my survey.
Creatively entitled “Survey”

This was all before I realized that I hated my idea. Not that it was a bad idea, but I think it wasn’t the best for my exigence.

I started messing around with Windows Movie Maker, and I made a tiny 3 second clip that took forever to make because stop-motion animations tend to do that. Not that I’m at all familiar with making animations, but I saw the idea took shape in my mind more quickly than I could tell myself that it was a risky move that would probably take a huge time commitment in order to fulfill.

I spent the rest of the night making probably the worst storyboard you’ll ever see:

Screenshot of my storyboard. It consists of a few digital images and mostly blank boxes.
You can probably tell where I started to give up on making it visual. (Sorry you can’t read any of it. Trust me, even if you could it wouldn’t make sense.)

I learned a few things from this very wishy-washy evening of storyboarding (looks like “storyboarding” isn’t a word. It should be).

First, I hate making storyboards. Having to plan the fate of my project gives me anxiety. I know it’s supposed to get the creative juices flowing, but it has the opposite effect for me. Only when I jumped into my project (making the survey) did I realize that I didn’t like the idea. And only when I began my animation did I realize that I had an abundance of ideas for the finished project.

Second, I learned that my first idea is very seldom my best idea. I don’t need much explanation for this I don’t think.

Lastly, I discovered the difficulty of trying to make my exigence fit with a medium that just didn’t accommodate it very nicely. It would probably have been a better approach if I had embraced my exigence and chose a medium to fit it rather than picking a medium and trying to alter my exigence accordingly. This was probably pretty obvious to everyone else. Oh well.

I guess planning just isn’t my strong suit.

Brie Winnega

Hey, I'm Brie. I'm an English major who's addicted to reading, writing, and ponytails.

2 thoughts to “Planning isn’t my strong suit”

1. Hey Brie! Interesting post. I found it intriguing that you found story boarding to be a source on anxiety. For me, I would nervous if I did not have a road map of where I plan to go with my project. Regardless, I guess that just goes to show that everyone has their own style of doing things. As for your struggle with exigence, I completely understand. It seems so intuitive, do something that highlights your argument. But it is so much more complex than that. When the options are endless, it’s so challenging to choose the best medium and platform for the exigence. I’m excited to see where you take your project!

2. Brie,

I get similar anxiety when trying to plan my projects. In general I’m a very organized person, but when it comes to creative work I just never seem to have a “vision,” so it’s difficult for me to plan out my projects. If you had to jump in to one of your ideas to realize you hated it, I think that’s great. That may even be better than planning out your idea in detail and then beginning work on it only to discover you hate it…that’s a lot of wasted effort. I remember when you showed me your first stop motion (even though you were still planning on doing the info graphics). I loved it, and it definitely affected me more than I think an info graphic would, so it seems like the perfect choice for your exigence. I think it will really affect your audience the way you want.