So many firsts

For my remediation project, I’m taking my children’s book storyboard and turning it into a “Draw my Life”- style video, but rather than drawing on a whiteboard, I want to draw in Photoshop. I’ll need to draw out my story and record it then speed up the drawing and add a voiceover of me telling the story.

I actually got up the gumption yesterday to go to the Tech Deck and ask some questions about using Photoshop for my remediation project. I have to say, the man there was helpful in showing me how I can create my project with just a tablet, Photoshop, Quicktime and iMovie, despite the fact that the faces he was making told me this is not going to be an easy venture.

To create my project, I’ll open Photoshop and then open a Quicktime screen recording and select the portion of the screen where I’m going to draw. Then, I’ll record that section of the screen while I draw. I can record my drawing in segments, and then, by opening them in iMovie, put the segments together. I’ll speed up the drawing and add a voiceover in iMovie as well.

So, perfect. my roommate has an iPad that she never uses and has no problem letting me borrow, I ordered a stylus (actually five, so if anyone needs a stylus…let me know) for $8 on Amazon, and Photoshop seems pretty easy to navigate. My main problem, then, is not the technology but the fact that I’m not a very good artist. I’ve never really drawn before, and if I mess up while drawing, I can’t erase my mistake and keep going. I have to stop and completely re-draw and re-record that segment. So I’ll have to put in some serious practice time drawing people and dolphins on a tablet and schedule in time to allow for mistakes while recording and having to start a segment over.

I still have to play with iMovie. I’ve never used it before, and I’m assuming what I have to do with it is pretty basic, but I haven’t gotten to testing that theory yet.

3 thoughts to “So many firsts”

1. This sounds like such a cool project. I can’t wait to see how the final cut turns out. I think it’s really impressive that you’re going to try three new media programs. Do you have to complete the drawings all in one go? Or can you stop at a point and then pick up again later? Regardless, I’m sure that your drawing is better than you’re letting on to. Good luck!! And keep me updated with anything cool you figure out how to do on Photoshop.

2. I’m really glad you decided to choose this route…I think it’ll turn out really awesome. For your drawing – I would say don’t be too hard on yourself. Especially if you don’t have a lot of experience, it might be pretty hard to get everything perfect straight through. It’s great you’ve decided to try out all these technologies. iMovie might be slightly more difficult than you think though, so I’d suggest at least spending a small amount of time trying to figure it out before you start production. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the final product! Oh – and I have to ask – talking dolphins???

3. It sounds like you have some great ideas for starting your remediation project! I’m sure drawing ability won’t be a huge challenge for this project—you could even make stick figures work as long as you do some editing to make the overall presentation look sophisticated. Other than that I can’t give much advice because the only technology you’re using that I’ve also used is iMovie. I remember being a little frustrated with the editing process but I also used it without the help of Tech Deck so that may be why I struggled. Also it’s been a few years since I’ve used iMovie so the technology could have improved since then. I can’t wait to see your final project!