Storyboarding My Remediation Project

Seeing as how I made the brilliant decision to use a yellow colored pencil, rendering my eportfolio mock-up essential impossible to see, I will instead focus on my remediation storyboard for this post.

Storyboard
Storyboard for my Remediation Project

Luckily, because I am going to be doing a podcast, I was able to avoid any drawings in my storyboard. The rough storyboarding process went really well, and helped me think of a few different ideas that I hadn’t thought of up until that point, including adding a commercial to break up two of the segments, as well as come up with opening and closing statements.

One of the biggest obstacles I am having right now is finding about 2 or 3 hours of time where both of my guests and myself are willing and able to sit down and record all of the audio that I need. Even though I am planning on a 30-45 minute long final product, I’d like to get around 2 hours of audio recorded so that I have plenty of material to work with during the editing process. During the storyboarding process, I realized that only my “1st period” requires both of my guests in the room together. After that, answering the questions sent in by “listeners” (I’ll most likely make these up myself or ask other friends to come up with a few) and discussing life after hockey doesn’t necessarily require answers by both guests. This might be the answer I am looking for on how to overcome scheduling conflicts.

During the storyboarding process, I found it frustrating that I haven’t really decided how scripted I want this project to be. Ideally, I would be able to give each of my guests a note card with the major themes and goals I aim to cover in the podcast and just let the discussion happen naturally. The problem with this is that neither myself nor my guests have ever recorded a podcast, and I fear that our inexperience will lead to a lot of awkward and unusable audio. After creating my storyboard, I think that I am going to leave the details of my guests answers up to them, but I am going to write up a script of how I want the discussion to progress. Hopefully doing this will keep my podcast sounding like a natural discussion between friends, but also make sure the exigence of my project is adequately covered.

Quinn Skalka

Junior studying EEB and writing. Originally from Battle Creek, the cereal capital of the world. Chicago sports fan. Enjoy longboarding, ultimate frisbee, and reading Sci-Fi/Fantasy series.

3 thoughts to “Storyboarding My Remediation Project”

1. Hi Quinn,

I had the same problem and did the same thing for the story board. I also suck at drawing and wasn’t a fan of the storyboarding process. However, it did help me for similar reasons: it allowed me to really think through my ideas.

As far as casting: I have just finished casting for my remediation project and it was a serious pain. Finding people was tough to find, but I then forced some friends at the Daily to do it. I found that they really enjoyed acting and it ended up being a fun thing. I wouldn’t mind helping you out as well.

As far as podcasting: I would just use the record function on an iPhone and upload it to iTunes and call it a podcast!

2. So I will admit, I was pleasantly surprised with how detailed your script was when we read it for class. I honestly didn’t know how a podcast would get storyboarded but this made sense. As far as the “callers” questions, the idea makes sense, but I’m wondering how you are going to present it. The way a lot of podcasts do this section is by “email” or “twitter”. They read the questions off and answer them. This should make the call ins very easy to create in an “authentic”.