Storyboards and Mock-Ups…

Storyboards and mock-ups, mock-ups and storyboards…oh what tantalizing fun. For my remediation project, turning a short story into 2-3 film trailers, the storyboards are crucial. Having an outline of the kind of shots I want to have and what I want in the shots gets me decently far along. Making my mock-up for the ePortfolio was another really important process, giving me much clarity into exactly how I want my website to look.

Picture of my poorly-drawn storyboard for The Last Resort Official Trailer #1

Making a storyboard for a film trailer is no easy task. Though it’s much shorter than an actual movie, there are still a large amount of shots – they just only last for a couple of seconds. Including when words appear on screen, there are roughly 25-35 shots in each trailer, all with different camera angles and lengths. For this reason, the storyboard is incredibly important. I at first had no clue how I wanted to match up my short story onto a trailer. Did I want to do it chronologically? How much of the plot could I give away? These were questions I struggled with before making the storyboard, but became much clearer thereafter. Having that solid framework to go off makes the process much easier, so now it’s just a matter of figuring out how to actually do it.

My beautiful ePortfolio mock-up...what a pretty beach right?
My beautiful ePortfolio mock-up…what a pretty beach right?

When I made my ePortfolio proposal, it was essentially a broad description of what I wanted my website to be like. There were no specifics, so when we were told to draw our “dream” ePortfolio onto a poster I was basically a deer in the headlights. I thought about it for a bit – my basic ideas of a simple, elegant homepage with a quote I liked perhaps – and then just started drawing (if you can call it that). I had my basic headings and such, then my name, then my quote, then my horrendously drawn picture of a beach (see to the right), and all of a sudden I had a semblance of a mock-up. Then, when I went back to the website to work on it, I had a much better picture in my mind of what I wanted to do.  In conclusion – go storyboards!

2 thoughts to “Storyboards and Mock-Ups…”

1. Hi Jeff,
    You really went into detail with your trailer storyboard! I’m really interested to see how the original ideas we put in our storyboards translate to our final projects. I’m sure yours has changed a bit now that you’ve decided to go with a mash up of existing clips rather than filming yourself. That being said, I definitely agree that having the storyboard as a framework makes it easier to really “see” your ideas. From what I saw in class, it looks like you really stuck with your mock up for the e-Portfolio and it turned out really nicely. Good luck working on the project!

2. I think you’ve made a good decision regarding changing the nature of your project. I think designing a full trailer for a specific movie just might be too difficult in the time we have allotted (especially given we don’t really have the scenes in Ann Arbor that you’d need), and splicing clips together should be easier. This will also give you more time to focus on maximizing the production value of the clips you do use. I’m excited to see your final product!