Thanks, Writing Minor

If you look back to my original essay for the Writing Minor Application, one of the things I said I wanted to get out of the minor was my own website. I knew from friends who had taken the gateway class prior to this semester that they were able to create their own e-portfolios and I thought that was super cool and something I should definitely do — regardless if I got accepted into the minor. So even before this semester, I kept telling myself to use Wix and create a site unique to me. However, procrastination kicked in and I never got around to it. That is, until now.

Not only does my e-portfolio showcase my proud pieces of writing from this semester, along with my academy-award winning movie making skills, it has allowed me to showcase my Michigan Daily articles in one, easy place. Through that, I am able to link future employers to my website and they certainly can get a full picture of who Jason Rubinstein is. More so, I am able to post my resume on my ePortfolio. By doing this, not only can the future employee read about me through a blurb on the front page, but they can also read my personal essays to learn about me. They also can read my articles to learn about my hobby and get a good picture of who I am before a face-to-face interview.

So for those wondering if they need to put more writing on their ePortfolio, I have put my resume and all of my articles.

It’s for the ePortfolio, that I am very thankful for the writing minor. It has allowed me to showcase my writing passion to the public, something that’s hard to do all in one place. It has allowed me to make myself a stronger candidate through jobs just by having my own website.

More so, the writing minor has challenged me to write in ways that I never have. Prior to Writing 220, I never attempted to write a first-person memoir. And while it was super challenging, and something I never envisioned myself doing, I am so grateful I did. It taught me that I can write in other genres and am able to do anything I put my mind to.

So thank you writing minor.

Jason Rubinstein

A half-Argentinean sports writer for The Michigan Daily. Previous intern at the New York Daily News. Siracha sauce enthusiast. Avid Chicago Sports fan. Once turned down a bid from AEPi.

2 thoughts to “Thanks, Writing Minor”

1. Jason,

I know that you’ve had some frustrating experiences with your ePortfolio, but it sounds like you’ve really gotten a grasp on the project now. It’s interesting hearing that you plan on bringing your ePortfolio with you into the professional world. It wasn’t something that I thought about doing, but providing an employer a chance to see a different side of you sounds like a good idea.

2. Jason,

Glad you were happy with how the ePortfolio project went. I’m glad you achieved one of your goals heading into the class, and I think your site would definitely be a good thing to show a potential employer.

Looking forward to seeing your site soon.