The digital drafting process

The drafting process for papers for us as students is a familiar one. One reworks their piece many times: re-wording, line-editing, peer-reviewing etc. It all seems relatively intuitive after many years of being taught how to properly work through a piece. Especially in this class, drafting is such an integral part of working a piece to it’s fullest potential. For a traditional paper, this is second nature.

However, digital remediation is a whole new field for many of us to explore. The drafting process does not include the same steps, and most of all, not the same mediums at each step. While we first drew our plans on simple, blank pieces of paper, we are now working to have them come to life online. This is an exciting but slightly foreign experience. We are bounding into territory where simple line edits and fixing of grammar is all that necessary. We have to create storyboards, plots, visually-aesthetic web-designs, integrated multi-media platforms and seamlessly try and have our ideas weaved into these different aspects. For me, as I compare my story-boards, mock-ups and early stages of my projects, I see many parallels.

storyboard and questions
storyboard and questions

The first parallel I see between my story-board and mock-up is the desire to keep the design simple, clean and allow it to speak for itself. I want my interviews to carry the video piece without much need for my own personal narration and I want my website to remain devoid of unnecessary distractions. In the picture posted, my early website design has a easy to follow navigation at the top and a few pictures on a white background. I don’t want any gimmicks or distracting aspects take away from the viewer’s experience of my work and it’s message. My story-board, posted here, also has a similar feel. It draws out the structure of my piece, focusing mainly on the interviews and questions to be asked of interviewees. No complex transitions are used, simply a few montages to show contrast between answers.

I’m not finding too much frustrating right now because I haven’t delved too deep into the technical details. Much of the general drafting and planning process comes easily as it is creative and not too logistics based yet. I’m enjoying watching how these projects develop side by side and what they’re teaching me about the digital drafting process versus the traditional one we are so used to.

EPortfoli Repurposing Process page
EPortfoli Repurposing Process page

Home page with remediation project
Home Page (will have remediation video)
reflection and processes page
Blog with additional reflections and process explanation

Anisha Nandi

I am a Communications and SAC double major pursuing a career in broadcast journalism. I am originally form New York but love being at U of M. I enjoy playing soccer, spending time with my family and being outdoors. I have always loved writing, especially creatively.

3 thoughts to “The digital drafting process”

1. Anisha– I really enjoy your thorough thought process for both of these projects. It is a lot for us to take on, but it seems that you are really trying to develop your thoughts and put them down as the final product. I do like the idea of keeping both your eportfolio and remediation project clean and simple. I also want to do the same, not just for it to be user friendly, but also because I am not too sure if I am ready to go above and beyond with the technology when these are one of my first digital projects. I hope your interview process has been going well. I am a little overwhelmed with breaking down my interviews to select and piece together the right things. I hope you are able to do the same thing. Lastly, I do agree with how you like viewing “these projects develop side by side and what they’re teaching me about the digital drafting process versus the traditional one we are so used to” because I 100% agree on this. I am so stuck on the traditional writing ways, that this class allows us to think outside the box.

2. Anisha,

I enjoyed reading your thoughts that compared the storyboarding process to the drafting process because I too found them very different from one and other. In fact, I had such little confidence in my artistic ability that I opted for a script version with text where pictures would go for my iMovie storyboard! I am much more comfortable word revision than I am with putting my ideas down in a visually appealing way. Your ideas for your eportfolio are similar to mine in that I also want my portfolio to be simple and easy to navigate. Your idea of putting your remediation project as your home page is unique and I think it will grab the attention of your audience right away. I think we are lucky with Wix in that it is a minimal-frustration site for those who don’t have much or any experience with web design. Can’t wait to see both your final eportfolio and movie!

3. Anisha –

Similar to what you and Sophie said, I am trying to get a clean and minimal version of my e-portfolio. I found it very interesting that our layouts have a lot of similar features – I also have a white background and am highly focusing on the use of imagery to guide my underlying theme throughout the project. I was surprised that you noticed the parallels between your projects immediately. For me, this has been the most challenging part. Since my video is about others and the e-portfolio is essentially about me as a writer/producer, I have found it difficult to link these two together in a way that is fully representative of each, yet also cohesive.

Reading through your blog was very helpful. Like you mentioned, the underlying themes are what will connect all of our works. It was very clear to me (from the images you provided and also based on our conversations in class) that this clean and simple design is apparent in all of your pieces. Personally, I love that you have your video on the homepage. It’s a great way to capture your audience immediately. I am excited to see how your projects progress!