Things I never tire of

To me, the descriptions “things I never tire of” or “things I’m grateful for” don’t accurately describe things. When I think about living without certain things, it sounds terrible, yes; but living without certain people is something I can’t even imagine.

First and foremost, I don’t know where I’d be without the endless life lessons I have learned from my mom and dad. There are old proverbial expressions, like “Don’t cry over spilled milk.” There are life skills, like how to tie a tie or how to bake a pie. There are lessons of how to treat people, like by remembering that you never know what someone else is going through at any given time. And there are the little things: underdogs, sunny days, walks to school, the list goes on.

I also don’t know where I’d be without the countless number of teachers and instructors who have guided me along the way. Joe Grimm, my journalism instructor at a summer program, who told me he wanted my stories to run on 1A, not page one of the sports section. Dr. Steltenkamp, my high school English teacher, who was always willing to give some words of advice when I needed them about anything. Coach Smith, from whom I’ve learned several life lessons just by being around him.

All of these people, and so many more, have taught me so much and will continue to teach me so much, that I don’t know how I could be here without them. I think of them as indispensable, much more than any object I’ve ever owned.