A Better Me and Writing 220

I’m not sure if it is the last blog post, but I’m sure I will miss blogging here after this semester.  I think it is a great journey we have been through together as individuals and as a group. Recalling the step by step growth in Writing 220, I am very grateful for every feedback, every suggestion, every comment that I gained from the professor and my peers. I think those are the motives for me to constantly improve myself both as a writer and as a person. I become stronger and more willing to receive suggestive comments because there is always potential to improve and these comments give me a better idea of where I should work on and make progress. If I should pick one aspect in writing that improves the most, I would say writing to be myself. We start from mocking others’ writing style; however, when we actually put efforts to create our own project, it is no longer about others. It is about who we are, and our styles. What I understand better is when you write with your own voice, it shows in the writing; when your voice shows in the writing, the project becomes more alive and sincere. In writing 220, I really appreciate that we have much more freedom in writing than other normal writing courses. This flexibility gives us more room to develop our ideas.

Talking about flexibility, I cannot skip eportfolio. It is our final project and summarizes our work throughout the semester. In the beginning, I really struggle in selecting a theme. As I said before, I want it to be a platform to show me not only as a writer, but an all-round person. I always feel related to the quote “If, for the sake of amour and cuisine, I must pay, then I would give my life away.” This quote inspired me. Therefore, besides writing minor, I have cuisine and amour for the rest of my eportfolio. I will include personal experience writing in both parts. In cuisine, I have writings about food, restaurant and recipes; in amour, I have writing about people, places, and culture. I think experiences make a person. Our experience can influence who we are and what we think, and ultimately what we write. I am more confidence about my design and plan of my eportfolio, and I hope it turns out great to express who I am in front of all my audience.

Enni Zhao

If, for the sake of amour and cuisine, I must pay, I would then give my life away.

2 thoughts to “A Better Me and Writing 220”

1. Enni,

You touch a lot in this post about the importance about a writer’s VOICE. Now that we’ve been in two blog groups together, I’ve had the opportunity to watch the development of your writing voice over the course of the semester. If I were to be given a piece of writing of someone in our class without being told who wrote it, I think I would be able to identify yours based on your distinct writers voice!

I think that these new developments in your ePortfolio themes are really interesting. I think you should challenge yourself to think why you chose amour and food as your themes and how they may relate to each other. I haven’t heard a lot about your passion for food thus far, so I’d be curious to find out which specifics you want to explore! As for amour, I am not completely clear on how that will be translated into a theme, so I’d love to hear more in person in class! Good luck! 🙂

2. Enni,

I loved reading your post. I agree–the minor has definitely helped me find my own style. I feel like listening to our classmates’ voice (comments, feedback, even other papers) helped me find my own. Do you agree?

As far as your portfolio goes, the theme is so engaging. Even if people aren’t passionate about the topic, everyone loves food and love! If you don’t already, I would definitely suggest going into why you feel a connection with the quote. I think it will really help viewers get a glimpse of who you are.

Thanks for sharing and I can’t wait to see the final product!