Writing is everywhere.

It's the truth.
It’s the truth.

Writing is a part of everyday life. Whether you’re an author, teacher, doctor, architect or any other profession you can think of, I can almost 100% guarantee that you will spend some slice of your day writing. Different professions require different skill levels, mediums and formats of writing…but at the end of the day, writing is writing. And it’s everywhere.

I suppose that is my bold proclamation. Writing is everywhere. It may not seem like much, but to me it means a whole lot. I think writing is skill that everyone should have, regardless of the career path they may choose. Writing is a way of communication and that is key in the workplace. I remember back in high school when other students would question why they needed to learn about nit-picky grammar rules because “they would never have to use them in the real world.” Well, I disagree.

I think that being able to write is a very coveted skill in everyday life. Putting your words on paper, whether it be in print or text, is a way to communicate who you are as a person. It’s not only what you write that matters, but how you write can also give others a glimpse into who you are. When applying for jobs, writing skills matter. And the truth is, you will be judged on these skills. I can promise that a poorly written cover letter, resume, or even email will reflect badly on your image.

I truly think that writing is a skill that every student should acquire, because it is a skill that is used everyday. That is why I am so thankful to be a part of this minor, because I know that I will be perfecting a skill that is relevant in whatever profession I end up in.