*You’re

Some people just don’t get it. They don’t understand why the simple placement of an apostrophe or the correct usage of their/there/they’re could be so important. But to me, these grammar mistakes are quite possibly some of the most annoying instances I ever encounter. It might be because I’m a perfectionist, or just that I love to write and don’t like when it isn’t done properly. I think it also has something to do with the fact that not only were we taught these grammar rules since we were in grade school, but also technology and things like autocorrect often make it impossible to make a grammar mistake. Yet, people still use your instead of you’re, who instead of whom, and its instead of it’s.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure I’m not entirely innocent. There have definitely been times where I used the wrong form of a word, but most likely I immediately tried to correct it or acknowledge my mistake. Even in something as casual as a conversation via text message I tend to utilize the ever-so-popular “asterisk correction.” This is when someone types the wrong word (most often in a text or Facebook message) and goes on to correct it by typing the right word with a “*” in front of it. I definitely appreciate this phenomenon, even to the point that I purchased a decorative computer case sticker that reads: *you’re.

I guess you could say I’m a tad obsessed with correct grammar usage.