This class has been one of my favorite classes I’ve taken here at Michigan. Here is my advice to make the most of it:
- Take risks. Try something you would never have considered before, whether it’s a new genre, medium, audience, whatever.
- Embrace feedback and constructive criticism. It’s very easy to feel overwhelmed by criticism and want to ignore it, but growing as a writer is really difficult without outside feedback.
- Learn to love the revision process. There is no such thing as a “final” draft, just drafts that are slightly more “final” than the last draft.
- Enjoy the blog posts, and make them fun to read. If you don’t want to use boring formal language, you don’t have to!
- Make friends with people in the cohort.
- Pick topics to write about that you are actually passionate about, and your life will be wayyyyyyy easier.
If you follow these six steps, you should end up looking like this:
And not like this: