Advice to Future Minors

This class has been one of my favorite classes I’ve taken here at Michigan. Here is my advice to make the most of it:

1. Take risks. Try something you would never have considered before, whether it’s a new genre, medium, audience, whatever.
  2. Embrace feedback and constructive criticism. It’s very easy to feel overwhelmed by criticism and want to ignore it, but growing as a writer is really difficult without outside feedback.
  3. Learn to love the revision process. There is no such thing as a “final” draft, just drafts that are slightly more “final” than the last draft.
  4. Enjoy the blog posts, and make them fun to read. If you don’t want to use boring formal language, you don’t have to!
  5. Make friends with people in the cohort.
  6. Pick topics to write about that you are actually passionate about, and your life will be wayyyyyyy easier.

If you follow these six steps, you should end up looking like this:

thumbsupcomputerkid

viWFR

tumblr_inline_mnx8exNEx11qz4rgp

And not like this:

giphy

One thought to “Advice to Future Minors”

1. Hi Jacob,

I really enjoyed the advice you provided, especially your first point about taking risks. I often find myself wary of being vulnerable and opening up in academic classes. However, from what I can gather, this course and minor are not typical classes.

I also loved that you included images in your blog post. I plan on doing the same as I begin to post more on the blog because it engages the reader and adds a bit of whimsy to the post. Thanks again for providing such great advice and I’ll be sure to keep it in mind as I make my way through the Gateway course!