Being a “writer” doesn’t mean you have to be good at it…

Bold Proclamations about writing, being a writer. Include image. Sassy. Brassy. And all that.

I say that anyone can be a writer. Like many things, there are good writers and bad writers. To be “a writer” does not mean you have to be good. Some may disagree with me on that. But I say to them: anyone who can find value in writing, is a writer. In my eyes, a writer is not necessarily someone whose words unfurl onto the paper with inherent ease. Some writers are this way, but ability does not define a writer. A writer is someone who can create a relationship with his or her words.

That relationship isn’t always easy. Writing takes endurance and vision. I don’t mean vision as in setting rigid goals and either achieving or failing. I mean vision to see what could be. A writer’s vision can be constantly evolving. A piece can start a certain way and end up in a completely different direction. Writing can be frustrating and difficult, but it is rewarding in the end.

Writing requires purpose. I don’t necessarily mean “change the world” purpose. Changing the world very well can be a writer’s purpose, but not all writers should feel the need to set out such a grand task. A writer’s purpose can simply be to clear her mind, or sort through a decision. The purpose can be selfish or it can be universal.

Now, this may spark some disagreement but I would break down writing into 2 percentages: 60% of writing is for the writer, 40% for the audience. I think by nature, writers like to hear themselves speak. I think they get enjoyment not only out of the process, but also the end product. I think this satisfaction with the end product is what makes us selfish. Granted, we always have to keep our audience in mind when we write. But I think writing is slightly more about us than it is about our audience. What do you think? Percentage wise, how would you divvy up writing?

Writing is peculiarly a very isolated process, yet a very interactive process. Deep introspection is often required in the writing process. Writers often need to be “alone with their thoughts.” Yet, peer review and workshopping is an integral part of any writer’s life. All writers need collaboration, a second opinion, a new sets of eyes: no exceptions. Writing is unique in that two integral aspects are contrary: seclusion and a network of support.

If you're a writer, you've been here before.
If you’re a writer, you’ve been here before.