ePortfolios and goodbye

Click for link!
Click for link!

So – I was a little bit late to the ePortfolio game. And by that I mean it seemed each time I worked with somebody in class it seemed like they were way ahead of me (which is because they were). Having a huge amount of work that week, I told myself I was going to dominate the ePortfolio game during the weekend. Then, on such weekend, I found myself struggling to produce a product I was happy with. And then, luckily for me, I figured it out.

For about a solid month, my entire progress on the ePortfolio project amounted to a background picture of a beach. Yes – that was it. Now, you can imagine why this was so upsetting when I sat down to work on it and I became dissatisfied with said beach. I decided I didn’t want to have the same background the entire time, especially one that didn’t really mean anything except for looking pretty. That’s when I came up with what ended up being the pivotal idea in my project – to have the background for each page serve a purpose – to provide the setting for what it encompassed. If I tried to explain it any more it would sound kind of weird and cliché, but I actually think it came together really nicely.  (The picture is the link)

I'm outta here
I’m outta here

I’ll absolutely use the ePortfolio in the future, both to showcase academically and even possibly to prospective employers on my resume. I think I can also use it as a little of motivation if need be. If I’m ever facing an assignment I don’t think I can finish or have to learn how to manage another completely new technology, I can turn to the ePortfolio and look at the short story I wrote or the film trailers I made. I think the ePortfolio is the perfect way to culminate our semester – it showcases all the writing we have done, but also serves as a piece of writing itself, yet again persisting our quest to figure out what writing actually is. So, it’s been real writing minor. I’m off to the land of political science and upper level writings for the moment, but I’ll anxiously await my return, once again ready to embark on this tantalizing journey we’ve all begun.

2 thoughts to “ePortfolios and goodbye”

1. Hi Jeff,
    Haha sounds like procrastination at its finest! If it makes you feel any better, I thought I had completely finished mine way in advance, and then ended up scrapping it and redoing a bunch of stuff so that I pretty much was working till the last minute too. I really like the idea that your backgrounds have some meaning and add to the feel of each page. Overall, your ePort looks great and very professional. It certainly has been real. Awesome portfolio and congrats on getting through the gateway course!

2. I had the same issue with mine! I spent at least 2 hours just trying to get the cover image to not look awful. But I think your ePortfolio turned out great, and you included some solid reflections. I completely agree with your frustration with editing and trimming clips in iMovie; that took me forever as well. I also want to say that I love your use of gifs in your blogs, and will definitely be trying to step up my gif game in the future to get on your level.