How Much Can A Font Say About You?

As I continued to play around with different formatting options of my eportfolio I realized that I had probably spent three hours of my life merely choosing a font. It needed to be the right color, the right size, clear enough to be able to read but loopy enough to add some fun, spaced the right amount, and aligned correctly on the page. Now, I know I’m a bit of a perfectionist, but I never thought that I would be spending three hours deciding upon something as seemingly minuscule as a font.

The thing about this project though is that, to me, and to all of us who are trying to make these eportfolios into accurate representations of ourselves both as writers and as people, the font actually does matter. Every decision we make for our portfolios ranging from font, to the other pieces of writing we choose to include, is equally essential to our presentation. With these portfolios we attempt to paint a picture of our personalities, through various choices such color scheme, and images and for some of us, even music.

The first piece of myself that I chose to include as the consistent background of my eportfolio is a photo I took this past summer of my sister blowing bubbles in our back yard at our lake house. Maybe it was the sunscreen caked over the camera but for some reason, it turned out blurry. Yet, the blue skies, the green grass, the sparkling lake, and the bubbles make the photo absolutely idyllic. On my home page I tried to think of a few words that I could use to describe myself and that would relate to the photo. Three words instantly came to mind: Thinker, dreamer, writer. I then built my portfolio off of these elements of myself, allowing them to guide every content based and stylistic decision I made.

Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 1.32.17 PM

I am very proud of the final product, proud of the patience I had with myself while agonizing over fonts, and ultimately think that my final project is reflective of my initial vision for the portfolio, and more importantly, of me as a person.

http://sophiejo7.wix.com/sophie

Sophie Burton

Sophomore in LSA, from Minnesota. I love yoga and sea salt truffles.

2 thoughts to “How Much Can A Font Say About You?”

1. Hi Sophie,

First of all, wonderful job with your Eportfolio! It looks fantastic and is definitely a representation of you. The picture is really beautiful and, I have to say, you picked a great font. It fits perfectly with the site so all the agonizing was worth it! I know the feeling of being a perfectionist and how tough it can be to rationalize some of the details you find yourself fixated on. Yet, that also leads to a really thoughtful, insightful and beautifully crafted product, like this Eportfolio.

I found what you said about having the Eportfolio be a reflection of ourselves particularly poignant. When you combine the perfectionist factor with the idea of this multimedia portal representing ourselves, there can be a lot of pressure. I definitely think you accomplished the task of representing yourself online very well. Congrats on your final project!

Anisha

2. Sophie,
    This is the first time I have had the chance to look at your Portfolio – it looks AMAZING. The design is very professional – the three hours spent on font definitely paid off. The way your name stands out on the page makes it appear almost like a logo! Which is perfect for the purpose of the ePortfolio.

I agree with what Anisha said about your comment of the ePortfolio being a reflection of ourselves. Upon looking at your site, I feel that I get a really good sense of who you are. The three words you put on your homepage weave throughout the site ever so subtly, but they stick in the back of the reader’s mind the entire time so that your exigence is always very clear. GREAT job! I wish you all the best in the future!