“It’s Worth It” would be an understatement

I love writing, and I love learning about it, so when I entered the minor in Writing program this fall, I thought I’d enjoy it. But to be honest, I didn’t know what to expect beyond that.

I ended up with a great group of classmates, a profound improvement in my approach to writing and even a different understanding of what writing is.

I do a lot of work at The Michigan Daily, so a lotĀ of my writing is on deadline, when I don’t have too much time to think about it. Much of it is structured, where I write about something specific. And much of it has rules: third person, no opinion, no exclamations, questions, unfounded statements, and so on, and so on, and so on. I love it, and it’s my favorite kind of writing to do, because it has a clear purpose and gives me an avenue to tell the stories I want to tell.

No matter what kind of writing you enjoy–even if you don’t prefer any particular form at all–the gateway course changes how you approach writing.

On the first day of class, each student had to answer one or two of a number of questions, and one of the questions was, what is your favorite part of writing? Some said starting, some said finishing, some said any number of parts in the middle. The gateway course helped me get better at each of those parts by thinking about how I approach each of them. No matter what I do, I’ll always be able to say that.