My Advice to Future Minors: Have Fun!!

This class is almost so open-ended that it’s hard to give advice. Your experience is almost guaranteed to be entirely different from my experience because you will end up choosing different genres and media for your repurposing and remediation projects. The best advice I can give is to find enjoyment in your assignments!

First, don’t let the little assignments bog you down. Before this class, I was not a fan of blogging. I had previously blogged in a high school journalism class and I felt like all my peers were judging me every time I made a comment. However, the environment in this class was very different. My peers were encouraging rather than judgmental, and this lessened my anxiety toward publishing my words on the internet for all to see. What initially seemed like busy work served as yet another creative outlet. By the end I slowly started finding my voice and was able to add humor into my posts, which made them more enjoyable to write. I think if the class had gone on longer I would have developed an even stronger voice. So don’t let blog prompts stress you out! Think of them as a productive study-break from your other classes and just be yourself without worrying about what you sound like to others.

Second, don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone for your repurposing and remediation project. Since this class is so open-ended, why not try a genre you’ve never tried before instead of sticking to something that you know? My strength has always been writing analytical essays, but creating an analytical piece for my repurposing project would have been boring. Instead I created a work of creative non-fiction modeled after a piece from the New Yorker. In the end, the fact that I enjoyed what I was doing made the work less daunting and less stressful. The same goes for the remediation project. Although certain genres will be extremely difficult if you’ve never tried them before, challenging yourself will still be worthwhile because in the end you’ll feel proud of your work. For example, I used InDesign to create a brochure from scratch (i.e. without the aid of templates such as the one I used for my ePortfolio). Formatting was hard, but in the end I was very satisfied with my work because it was all completely mine. If you have the time, I would highly recommend taking the challenge of trying something new.

Lastly, don’t forget to reflect on the progress you make along the way. I chose to minor in writing so that I could improve my writing skills. However, this class focuses more on crafting projects than actually working on grammar and sentence-level editing. If you came into the minor with the same expectations as me, remember that you are improving your writing skills through this class even if you don’t realize it. Just by actively writing every day and trying new forms of writing you are gaining so many new skills. The best way to improve a skill is to practice, and there’s certainly no shortage of writing practice in this class. You can take other classes for the minor that focus more on writing skills, so just enjoy this class for what it is while you’re in it.

I hope my advice helps! Good luck with the minor!

Annie Humphrey

Boston, MA native. Senior BCN major with premed focus. I love singing, writing, and having meaningful conversations with people.

3 thoughts to “My Advice to Future Minors: Have Fun!!”

1. Hi Annie, I love that you challenged yourself to try a new media in your writing. I imagine creating a brochure from scratch for your first time must have been incredibly difficult. But I absolutely agree with you that this is the perfect class to take risks and explore new modes of writing. I am super excited about the projects in the class and expanding my skills in various forms of media. Perhaps video making will be on my horizon…
    Thank you for your inspiration!

2. Hey Annie! Your advice is really speaking to me, I agree with everything you said. I have to be better about not stressing about assignments and stop being afraid of trying new things, like new genres. It is so great to hear that you did and that it worked out so well. I also came into the minor wanting to improve my writing skills and it is comforting to hear that they are improving even if I don’t realize it at the time. I’m looking forward to the freedom that this course allows and your advice will definitely help me enjoy it even more!

3. Hi Annie! I really enjoyed reading this advice post, mainly due to the fact that it was straightforward, clear, and told me not only what I wanted to hear but what I needed to. I have questioned time and time again whether I can even be considered a writer, and this post made me feel as if I can. Your last piece of advice, namely when you remind us as readers (and writers of course) that just by actively writing and trying new forms we are going to gain new skills, really woke me up. It made me think, “wait a minute… no matter how hard I try, I cannot NOT learn something in this class.” With some classes this is not the case, but I can see how the minor in writing gateway course lends itself to learning simply by having us do so much writing. Do, do, do. I learn best by doing, so thank you for reminding me that even if I do not think I am a writer, so to speak, I certainly will be one as I progress through the minor because, after all, I am going to be writing each and every day. If that won’t make me see myself as a writer, I am not sure what will. Aside from that, I also really appreciated your words of wisdom concerning not being bogged down by blogging and taking the courage to step out of the horrid comfort zone so many of us are trapped in. All in all, THANK YOU! I surely will be keeping your advice in mind throughout the semester and beyond.