Projects vs. Exams: The Nightmare that is Finals week

Well, it is that time of year. That time of year that all students despise because of the ridiculous amount of work that you have to do is quite frankly insane. This year alone, I have 2 final exams in 3 days, and 3 project/papers. And although I hate having to do both, I would rather have a paper any given day over an exam. The reason: With an exam, you never really know what you are going to study for.

Think about it. When it comes to an exam, a professor can give you a study guide, they can give you practice exams, they can offer extra study sessions, but you actually never know what will be on the exam. You do not control what is going to happen. When you take an exam, you have one shot. One chance to get the right answers, and if you make a mistake, or you come up against a question you just don’t know what the answer is. When that happens, you are wrong. There is nothing you can do to change it. Regardless of how much you studied, how well you think you know the material, you can always get tripped up on an exam and there is nothing you can do.

When there is a project, you have time. You can work on it at your leisure, and even if you are an awful procrastinator as I am, you can still at least go over what you want to talk about with your professor. That ability alone makes doing projects much better in my opinion. Although projects and essays can be viewed in a more subjective light instead of an objective one, you still have a situation you can tailer what you create to how the professor wants the project to look. Even better, if you complete the assignment in enough time, you can go over what you have with the professor and fix whatever is needed. With a project, you control your own fate.

Clarence Stone

A sports fanatic from Detroit Michigan. The moment I put a pencil to paper, I realized that writing was something that I cared about, and I can't wait to become better.

One thought to “Projects vs. Exams: The Nightmare that is Finals week”

1. CJ,

I hadn’t really thought about the subjective vs. objective debate you mentioned. I agree that I prefer papers to exams, but, thinking about the subjective nature of grading papers, there’s an argument to be made for exams.
    When it comes to procrastinating during a project, I like to think of it as productive procrastination. You mention how you can still ask questions even if you aren’t necessarily working on your project yet, which I find invaluable, because, when you do finally begin working, you can build on the answers you received.

Good luck on the rest of your exams/projects/papers.