PSA to Incoming MIW Cohorts: Go for It

I don’t necessarily feel qualified to provide advice to future┬áMinor in Writing cohorts, but if you’re taking the time to read this I’m going to provide my two cents. If you’ve ever had an interesting thought or idea and thought about pursuing it in a piece of writing, go for it. The gateway course provides one of the most unique aspects of any course at the University of Michigan due to┬áthe fact that it provides you with the flexibility and freedom to tackle your projects in the way that you want. No idea is stupid or silly and if you really go for it you can turn anything into something special in the MIW program. We are generally trained throughout our time in school to focus on specific academic essays and literary analysis papers, so it can be challenging to come up with something fun and interesting to start with. I encourage everyone to take the time to take a risk and go for something you wouldn’t normally do, or to simply pick a topic you are incredibly interested in. Not only is it more enjoyable to choose what you are going to spend your time writing about, but I truly believe that this process in instrumental in helping you find your voice. It’s hard to break habits and try something new, but give it a shot. I had the opportunity to see a lot of amazing projects as a result and I know there’s plenty more in store for our instructors in the future. However, if you plan to top the Fall 2014 Cohort, you’re really going to have to go for it. I wish you all the best of luck and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

You are all going to do great things!
You are all going to do great things!