WARNING: The Following is Cheesy & Cliché.

For those about to embark on the journey that is the Sweetland Center’s Minor in Writing, I wholeheartedly salute you. If the written word is truly a passion of yours, you will find you have made a grand decision. As the PR posters claim, a Minor in Writing definitely goes with any major.

But anyway, let’s get to some advice, which is why you are reading this (forcibly, or otherwise). The Gateway Course in the Minor in Writing is, in my opinion, as challenging as you make it. And if you want to make the most of it, you should certainly challenge yourself. By this I mean make things a little uncomfortable. Stretch farther than you have dared before. Dabble in a genre that is unfamiliar, that you previously left untouched because you felt those waters were better left uncharted.

I can’t claim that I necessarily did this in terms of the actual writing I did for the course, but my final project for the semester was something I had never done before. Putting together a mini-documentary was something of a challenge, but I am certainly glad I pushed myself to do it. And if you can muster the willpower to step outside your comfort zone in the realm of writing, you will surely be glad you did it, too.

NeverTryNeverKnow