Best Kept Secrets Found Down the Rabbit Hole

Being a (mostly) science writer in my studies, I had heard of a good portion of the links that came up in my click through Health Sciences > Hematology/Oncology. For example, the journal names were all familiar, PubMed is my go-to database, and I even knew some of the jargon being tossed around. But, it really is true that you learn something knew every day.

Through my search I found a magical database that I only ever dreamed about before. It’s called Web of Science. (Cue glorious music sound) It’s the simplest and most needed database I’ve ever come across. You use it to search for published papers by topic, title, authors, author indicators, year, and the list goes on. Then, you can refine your search based on how far back in time you want to search. Click go and the magic flowing out of your computer is comparable to that at Hogwarts. This database tells you how many times each article has been cited by another source and, wait for it, will produce for you a citation map. That’s right folks, the Rabbit Hole problem has been solved. This map will show you who cited who and when. If any of you are science majors or have worked in a research lab, you’re probably as excited as me about this.

Web of Science Screenshot
The easy-to-use Web of Science Database.

Of course, there are other great features to Web of Science like MGetIt so you can see the full articles. The point I’m trying to make, besides a defending trial for Web of Science, is that I really didn’t know there was more we were being offered. I usually just go to PubMed or even just search the library search bar at the top of their website when I’m looking for papers or references. After 7 full semesters here, you’d think I would have gotten the University’s die hard message about all the resources, but I haven’t. My advice to any underclassman is to search around. I know you feel like you don’t have time and you just want what’s right in front of you, but there’s so much more and you’ll really save time in the end when you find a more specific and helpful resource.