Everyday People and Everyday Things

In all the craziness I’ve experienced in these first few weeks of the semester, I just now realized that I missed the boat on the introductory/why I write/why I read blog posts that everyone else has seemingly begun already. I guess better late than never, right? My name is Kelly, I’m a junior Communications major from Northville, Michigan.  I’m always dancing and I’m obsessed with dogs, and I guess those would be the two most important things to know about me.

Something I’ve recently noticed about myself in the last few weeks is how nosey I am. I seriously have to know everything about everyone. When I meet someone new who piques my interest, I stalk them on every social media site possible to get a feel of what they love, what makes them tick: “Is that his golden retriever?” “What sports did she play in high school?” “Oh he’s a twin!” (Really – no one is safe). This gets pretty awkward when someone thinks they’re telling me something for the first time and I respond with “I know!” The look of confusion and slight terror on their face is almost enough to make me stop being so creepy.

My junior year of high school, my friend introduced me to Post Secret, which is an online project in which people send in anonymous secrets on postcards and the creator of the site posts select secrets every Sunday. Reading these is addictive for me. While most functional adults can’t wait for the Sunday paper, I can’t wait for new secrets to be posted. Similarly, I can’t get enough of Humans of New York. Just those snippets of each individual’s struggles and triumphs and daily life leaves me wanting more every time: “I wonder if he’s still clean?” “Will her mother ever forgive her?” “I wonder if he ever turned himself in.”

I love people. I love meeting new people, smiling at strangers; I want to know everything about people because they are just so fascinating. There are so many stories out there in the world, and I feel so inspired when I’m reading and learning so many new things about complete strangers. I think this is why I like to write creatively about characters that I’ve completely made up in my mind. Each of my characters is inspired by someone or something I’ve seen in my time on this earth in some way, even if it’s just a description of the character’s hair or voice. Everyone has a story, and I want to know and share them all.

One thought to “Everyday People and Everyday Things”

1. Hi Kelly,
    I am just starting to catch up with using the blog myself! I am a huge fan of Humans of New York as well, especially when a single post on the blog has a substantial impact on the subject of the photo. For example, when Brandon Stanton’s girlfriend started HONY for the Holidays, the two were able to help those who did not have any family to spend the holidays with find a family with an open seat at their table through crowd-sourcing the blog’s followers. It’s crazy how much of an impact social media has on our lives, and I admire Brandon Stanton for using his online presence to create a positive difference.