helpppp meee wahhhh

alright, so….

i think…

…i might know what i might be doing for this final capstone

eek. scary.

idea #1)

bodies. Specifically female bodies and the exploration of females being objectified by the media. More so, the experiences my peers and I have come in contact with as a result. Transform this into a poem or monologue and pair it up with some black and white images of female bodies, cut up (not actually, just by the camera). boom. mmm….

idea #2)

WORDS. WORDS ARE SO POWERFUL PEOPLE! Okay but how do i convey this. I want to go into PR because of how powerful words can be. Ok, so idea: have people identify themselves (maybe pick 2-3 words) and why thats so powerful. But there has to be more…

This word idea is just so complex that I can’t even really grasp my head around it. I am just so confused as to how I can convey the powerful power of words by giving great justice to these words. I have extended my research and I am still coming up dry. Suggestions?

#stumped

Lior Press

Whale lover, wolverine at heart. Give me brownies and I will love you forever. “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”- Bob Marley

3 thoughts to “helpppp meee wahhhh”

1. Hey Lior,

I like your first idea a lot. It seems to give you the ability to employ other talents outside of “writing papers” that you possess, which is an awesome way to go about any sort of project. Have you thought of how you would pair the poetry with the images you want to use? Would your images only be related to the sexual objectification of women in media, or could they come from other things (objectification in books, video games, etc)? I suppose it would depend on what your definition of “media” was.

Your second idea definitely seems more loaded than the first. The fun part is that you can go so many different directions with it. Maybe you can create an audio sample of people speaking those words that they identify themselves by, making some sort of music out of those recordings. You could even use the way the sounds of the words interact to produce even more meaning than just their definitions/associations normally would. That might be very compelling if you were able to combine that concept with recordings of people that don’t consider English their first language. Maybe some sort of cultural or social argument could emerge that way.

I don’t know if any of that helps you, since I feel like I rambled just a tad. But, you have some excellent ideas in the works and I hope that your project turns out exactly the way that you want it to!

Evan

2. Hello!

First, I totally feel your “ahh i’m all over the place” sentiments, so do not fret – you are not alone! Also, i love both of your ideas! And after reading them, I myself have an idea for you. I think you can combine idea 1 and 2. You sound like you’re pretty passionate about the objectification of women in the media and that you know a lot of people who have a lot of things to say. AND THEN you talk about words! Why don’t you use your words idea to speak about the objectification of women in the media? And then you can make the cool-sounding video you were thinking of making!

Good luck! I think you’re off to a great start.

3. Hi Lior,

I really like Sara’s ideas about trying to combine these two ideas. I’m also curious if you could try and narrow your ideas concerning the objectification of female bodies in the media to more specific and concrete claim. As I’m sure you know, there are TONS of documentaries, poems, novels, etc. that discuss the objectification of women in the media, and I’m curious if you can try and think of how your project might provide a new, fresh take on the subject, and how offering your own perspective might showcase this issue in a different light. Narrowing the claim to something along the lines of, “My peers and my experiences highlight the manner in which the portrayal of females in the media does THIS THING that hasn’t been discussed yet!” might be helpful before you move forward with the project.

I hope this is helpful!