I fell into a rabbit divot

I’m going to make a pretty obvious statement right here and now: the Internet is a magical thing. Good, now that that’s out of the way, I can confess that my searching habits resemble those that someone who never grew up with a computer may possess.

What I’m saying is that I don’t find myself clicking on link after link and “falling into a rabbit hole” on a usual basis. I think a big part of it is that I don’t like not knowing how much time I will spend looking up factoids that I will literally never need again. But also, maybe I am just not extremely inquisitive.

Sticking to what you know isn’t completely a terrible way to live life; I just like to think that I’m a pretty direct thinker who searches for something with a purpose. For example, on an almost daily basis, I will read or watch something entertaining, and I play the “What else has that actor been in?” game (big shout-out to IMDb).

So with this massive preface out of the way, my “rabbit hole” was more like a “rabbit divot” when using the library research guides. Because I have a pretty good idea of where I want to take my project this semester, I didn’t allow myself to just wander; instead I looked at categories that I thought were going to be beneficial for me (selfish, I know).

About my search: what I’m looking into is really gender and entertainment of the superhero variety, so I first clicked on Arts and that led me to Comic Books and Graphic Novels. There was not only an archive of comic books, but also essays about the superhero, which is pretty neat. I even found an archive about women in comic books (score) and how to cite a comic book properly.

From there, I tried to find something under the women’s studies category, but came up empty handed. However, I did stumble upon a pretty nice archive about how to obtain copyright to use images and things, which I think a lot of people in class might want if they are using pictures that aren’t theirs (you’re welcome).

Although I didn’t just free-fall through links and tabs, I now feel more assured that there is material on my potential project. So I encourage a more direct route even if you have various ideas just to see what kind of potential your project has!