It’s kind of dark down there…

I’d never ventured upon this site, and I must admit, after being a student at the University of Michigan for quite sometime, I was rather embarrassed. It seems that I’ve neglected an invaluable resource for discovering relevant resources within the library system.

That being said, I took itupon myself to delve deeply into this exercise, and to enhance the likelihood that I’d find it useful, I clicked on “Art,” for to create it is, perhaps, the reason I exist.

The subcategories under the “Art” subject were both vague and niche – and I quickly surmised that, while this system would have been extremely viable this side of ten years ago, currently I could find whatever information I wanted in 10 seconds flat with a search engine on the internet.

For example, why would I want to make the effort to look up the options for books on music composition, travel to the library, take the stairs (or opt for the elevator as it supports point I’m trying to make), scale the aisles with my piece of parchment and pencil scribbles of the ever-so archaic Dewey decimal identification number, barely perceptible in the dim light of the wax candle in my hand…

Okay, perhaps I’m being hyperbolichere, but the point is, there are probably ten current sites that I’d rather (Scholar.)Google from the comfort of my own laptop, sitting next to my keyboard, before I go to the library to look up music composition resources.

Am I proud of this? No. I’m the kind of person who eschews Kindle and iBook and Nook and whatever other cute, little epithet the modern-day man has fashioned for anything other than print on paper.

Am I old-fashioned at heart? Yes. Butam I willing to work that much harder to stay old-fashioned? Absolutely not… not even when it comes to research for academia.

Carly Keyes

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than 'good job.'" (Whiplash)