On the humanities, espresso and prairie dogs

Rabbit Hole

A couple questions I had before going down this “Rabbit Hole.”

• Can a human really fit into a rabbit hole? How big does this bunny have to be?
  • Why would you choose to climb down? What’s wrong with getting a drill to find whatever is at the bottom?
  • Why does it have to be a rabbit? Why can’t we chase after a groundhog? Or a prairie dog? Let’s chase after one of those.

Anyway. I went through with the exercise after looking up rabbit holes and began by diving into the humanities portion. I figured it would be most similar to the work in communication studies or journalism, but it’s also because I had no interest in the other topics.

The humanities are broad and they provide a great deal of opportunities for research. Which is why now feels like a great time to get some of these clichés out of the way before I continue.

• Boy, there sure are a lot of resources at the library.
  • My mind is opened up to new areas.
  • I’m disappointed I didn’t use this more.

I took humanities path, scrolled down until I saw the Espresso Book Machine. It’s completely unrelated, but I enjoy books and coffee so I had to check it out. Unfortunately, it doesn’t make coffee. But it does create books to read in print, which is pretty sweet. But surely there must be an explanation for why it’s named after Espresso. So I followed a link to an article from Independent Publisher on the machine. The article says it gets its name from EspressNet, which was a bit of a letdown as I searched for the name. But I did find a quote, likening the machine to an Espresso, so I was satisfied.

“The machine is a high speed printer with a finishing unit that prints, trims, and binds a book in minutes. It truly operates like an espresso: producing quantities of one at a very low cost and with almost no human intermediary.”

I didn’t really come away any more confident about my subject idea or where I’ll head with this capstone project. Which is why I decided to look up Prairie dogs.

One thought to “On the humanities, espresso and prairie dogs”