What I Love About Shea

Sometimes you just know what certain people are supposed to be doing in life. Judging a book by its cover is totally acceptable in these cases. When you see a beautiful woman with deep blue eyes, you think “Wow, she should probably be a model.” When you see a large man with arms like legs and legs like tree trunks, you think “Wow, he should probably be a football player.” When you see me, you think “Wow, he should probably be figuring out what he wants to do with his life.”

There’s a man whose name is Shea Serrano. I’ve never met him, but I’ve seen a couple of pictures of him. He’s relatively unassuming looking; a short man of Hispanic descent with a tapered buzzcut and modest goatee. You wouldn’t be able to guess what he does simply looking at him. But he’s one of those people who you just know what he’s supposed to be doing in life–he’s supposed to be a writer. He writes for Grantland, a sports and pop culture blog, and I read everything he writes. Like, everything. Always.

Here’s a snippet from something he wrote once:

Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 11.37.55 AM

He wrote about going to the park and the supermarket in a larger article about going to a child’s birthday party. And I laughed throughout the entire thing. Again, the topics were: park, supermarket, and children’s skating rink. I’ve never told a story as interesting as his 1,324 word article, and those were the topics. Either I’m really boring (I hope not) or he’s really good at what he does.

I like biographies. I like historical narratives. But I love to read slice-of-life writings like these the best. I love to read something about a mundane activity I do every day and can still make me laugh. I love when people can write something that so perfectly captures what even my average life is like. And I love what Shea Serrano writes the best of all.