Audiences Addressed in Repurposing

For the upcoming Repurposing Essay, I would like to rework a paper I completed some time ago for a political science class. The original essay covered voters’ decision making and how they used political parties as a heuristic for their own political ideology; however, it was laden with dense terminology and very one-sided. I was required to use a thesis sentence and present an argument that only had one side to it, which resulted in paper that left me feeling as though my argument was too simple.┬áIn writing this repurposing essay, I want to try and complicate this argument a little bit to hopefully address a new audience.

It is important to note, however, that in discussing audience, you must be aware of whom you’re talking to, whom you’re talking at, and whom you about. I want to make sure that this paper addresses a general audience – in other words, I don’t want it to be highly academic (such as my last paper was), nor do I want it to be over-simplified. Ideally this paper will be aimed at people who take a general interest in politics, which will comprise the “to” portion of my audience. Additionally, as a consequence of discussing politics, it is quite apparent who this paper will be about. I envision the majority of the “about” audience to be concerned with politicians and other active members of political discourse.

While both the “to” and “about” audiences are important to cover throughout this paper, the same cannot be said about the “at” audience. Talking at someone implies that you are not allowing them to enter the conversation because you refuse to give them any voice in the conversation. In a politically driven paper, this will be incredibly important to recognize. For me, my “at” audience will be the people who hold different political views than I do. In essence, it is very easy to completely leave other’s view out of the equation if you (as a writer) assume that your ideologies are superior to the reader simply on a moral basis. This can be extremely alienating to a reader, meaning that an author must use his or her discretion to avoid such problems.