Genres Delivered in 30 Minutes or Less (Or Your Writing for Free!)

Hello there.

Today, I’m going to take a look around my room in my apartment and see what examples of writing I can find in the next 30 minutes or so.

ARBY’S CUP

That milkshake was so good. On the cup, there are three main sections of text: the size (12 oz.), the logo (hat like? With the brand name, useful), and a promo about the glory that is Arby’s, declaring their brand purpose and values. All of these seem in line for the genre that is, I suppose, fast food cups. The material the cup is made of (a thin, waterproof cardboard) and its shape (cylindrical) also seem in line with other cups from fast food restaurants.

PAMPHLET ABOUT THE UGLI

Or, rather, the Undergraduate Library, not some sort of spreading disease of unattractiveness. It follows a simple, readable format listing 10 Things to Know about the library. While this information might come in a brochure or a text heavy pamphlet, this sheet breaks some aspects of the genre of informational pamphlets. It is double sided and is broken down into a list that is further broken up in alternating blue and white colors. There are a variety of links that can be typed into browsers (perhaps it would benefit from QR codes though? It’s not as if I can click the links) as well as reference pictures of the site.

There is also a fairly minimal amount of text on the sheet. It makes me think of Buzzfeed and other click-bait type stories in this way that it lacks extrapolation, but makes up for it in being an extensive list.

MY NOTEBOOK

To save myself some grief, I’m just going to look at the outside rather than the ridiculous amount of writing within. I’m just going to assume that my notes are fairly in line with most note-taking genres (Lots of words. Lots of doodles. Sometimes I highlight things!)

Instead, the cover is pretty on point with what you might expect from a very cheap notebook. Plain colored, heavy cardboard cover. Perforated line along the metal spiral binding to indicate that the sheets are perforated (it even claims to have “High Tech Micro Perforation.” What… What does that mean? What part of that is supposed to be high tech?? Whatever.) There is also a bubble of white to indicate the type of notebook it is: 1 subject, 70 sheets with college rule lines. Nothing but the best for me.

Classic notebook.

KETCHUP PACKET

I need to stop eating in my room.

This definitely falls into what I am familiar with when it comes to ketchup packets: strange vacuum sealed foil packaging with pointy edges, instructions on the corner for opening, ingredient list, distributor information, and a little picture of a ketchup bottle (very recognizable). This also falls in line with what I would expect from other condiment packages, too; mustard and mayo and whatnot.

At the same time, I think this genre might be changing. I’ve seen more and more plastic packages of ketchup that have tops that can be peeled back for dipping, or an edge torn for squeezing. Maybe this is a paradigm shift for the whole world of portable condiment pouches. Is the world ready? I think I might be, but I’m not sure. In the meantime though, this ketchup package falls in line with what I would expect, and that gives me comfort.

TUMBLR

Last one. Half hour is almost up, and I felt it was only fair that I look at a website since I’m on my laptop with more than 20 tabs open. That’s a lot of writing.

Tumblr is an interesting example of a social media site. While the basis of this site was blogging, social media is probably the genre that it aligns with most closely now, but it is very markedly different from some other popular ones. The entire site is based upon sharing the things that people you follow have shared. There is also an element of sharing the things that you have created; it’s a great platform to share you music, art, videos, and writing, as well as participate in crowd sourced conversations.┬áIt’s slightly similar to Twitter in the public sharing aspect and the level of reach that posts can attain, but its form is longer than Twitter’s, which makes a big difference in post content.

The layout of Tumblr is also fairly in line with other social media sites. The background is blue for one thing (just like both Facebook and Twitter) and posts are in list form vertically with features, navigation, and posting options along the top and sides on the upper portion of the page. Where this format might differ more drastically is on the individual users’ blogs, which are highly individualized, allowing for custom html codes for layout and features.

Despite the differences, Tumblr is still very quickly recognizable for what it is based on the genre conventions is follows: social media, and a good source of procrastination and time wasting.