Impending Repurposing Panic

Ugh, guys. What am I doing? I don’t know where to go with this repurposing essay.

My original idea was to repurpose an essay I wrote during my first fall here at Michigan. It was for my English 125 course and I wrote about how my mother’s negative body image influenced the relationship I have with my own body. Basically it supported the notion that negative body image is taught (which is something I completely believe, I mean, no one is born wanting a thigh gap).

The assignment was to write a paper in multiple segments of, like, 200 words each, which I really enjoyed and would want to incorporate into the repurposed essay. I started the paper with some dialogue between my mom and me when I was little. The next section picked up with a transcription of some internal thoughts. A different section contributed with research facts about body image/eating disorders/mental illnesses/etc.. There were other parts too. It was a hot mess. But it ended kind of the same way it started, with a conversation between my future daughter and myself. I really like making things come full circle, even if it’s cheesy…and this was definitely cheesy.

So, if I continued with this idea, I would want to make it more narrative based. I like creating scenes, developing characters, composing dialogue, and initiating conflict. I don’t know if this approach would be the most effective way to tell this story, but, honestly, I need a new way of looking at this situation. Positive body image is something I’m very passionate about, but I’m a little burned out and need some relief.

That’s where I am right now. I’m not completely convinced. And I don’t know at what point I’m going to be convinced. I’m hoping it’s soon. Like I said, I’m kind of burned out from my positive body image crusade and need some relief. I feel like I need a break from it all.

Ugh. What am I doing?

One thought to “Impending Repurposing Panic”

1. Hi Olivia,

I am also stuck when it comes to repurposing an essay from last semester. It deals with concepts similar to body image, or simply self-image in general. We’re supposed to repurpose something so that it targets a new audience. So, that’s where I am going to start thinking about what to do for this assignment. Maybe you could think about who you want to reach and then decide what is the best way to do that? Or you could always go for it and write the narrative. You might only be convinced that it’s a good idea once you try it.