Searching for Unique Direction

Repurposing Proposal Update:

To reiterate, my goal for this project was to repurpose a music review that I wrote for a student-run music blog into an article discussing the changes in music distribution in the current digital age.
yay music
When starting to do research for this paper in class, I realized immediately that there have already been countless articles written so far about pretty much the exact same topic. Interviews in Time magazine addressing music’s new direction, articles in the NY Times about the history of music recordings…endless pieces all about the same topic. Refusing to become flustered, I soldiered on, writing the first paragraph and stating some vague thesis about how the music industry will never be the same. It took a day or two, and was catalyzed by Christian Parenti’s visit, but I have realized that the article I was beginning to write was 1. an extremely obvious and pretty irrefutable argument and 2. becoming a collection full of facts but lacking creative analysis.

NNH

I have never written a research paper in which I make a truly risky argument. Sure, I’ve exercised creativity in literary analysis papers about fiction novels and short stories. But research papers—never. I once wrote a paper about the impact of MLK on the Civil Rights Movement. Another, on the various theories about why we dream. None of the research papers I have written have really solid counterarguments that I was ready to refute. All of my arguments tend to be obvious and lack unique analysis. I want this article to be the first.
Now, I am going in the direction of: music reviews, though nice to read and write, are never right or wrong. Like all criticism of art, music reviews are full of opinion and ranking music on a scale of 1-5 stars is an insult to music, whose analysis is only ever purely subjective.
This might be the craziest work weekend of my entire college career, so luckily there need be only a first draft to come in the next few days. I’m very excited about this idea 🙂 It’s an argument that I truly believe in and look forward to finding evidence that I hope to analyze in a way that is unique!
Here’s the song that’s currently stuck in my head. I’d give it 5/5 stars, but that’s just my opinion.

2 thoughts to “Searching for Unique Direction”

1. Kaitlin,

It sounds like a good idea that you changed your topic. I think pushing yourself to do something you’ve never done and making a bigger argument is a great idea. If you’re going to try something new, this class is the place to do it.

After all of the discussion we’ve had in this class about fact and opinion, I think that your new topic is very interesting. It’s going to add something new to the conversation and, because it is so focused on something that you’re interested in, I’m sure you have a lot to say about it. I can’t wait to read your draft and see where you go with this!

2. Kaitlin,

I think it is a really good idea to go with a more challenging piece. Your new idea sounds solid, and I think it is equal parts provocative and intriguing. I agree with Katie when she says this is the best place to try something new. There is much more creative freedom in this course than past writing classes, so you are exactly right in feeling that you should push your comfort zone. Also, I dig that song and have never heard it before. So, regardless of your feelings about the subjectivity of music preference, your music taste is spot on.