Purposeful Repurposing

Working on this project has been a joy. It’s radically different from most of my other assignments, which has made it all the more exciting. I was very pleased with my initial draft, but upon meeting with Shelley yesterday, I realized that I have a lot more work to do.

First, I stated that my genre is satire, but it seems that what I put together was not satire at all. Satire is very serious in its purpose, a fact of which I was previously unaware, so I was mistaking sarcasm for satire. So it seems that I’m going to change my genre to something much more purposeful and specific: a fake admission essay review. This new genre allows me to keep my original framework, and opens up a lot of new options for my remediating project. As of now, I’m planning to do a short video along the lines of “A Day in the Life of College Essay Reviewer”.

Another issue I have been contemplating for my project is the aesthetics of everything. Per Alexis’ request, I plan to print out the essay, mark it up in red pen/marker, and then scan and upload the final product. One potential obstacle with this is my handwriting is terrible at best, so I’m considering getting a friend to write for me. I could also keep everything digital and insert edits into the document in some script-like text. With consideration to everything, I plan to have a final product together in the next week or so. I’m very excited about the direction everything is headed!

2 thoughts to “Purposeful Repurposing”

1. Max,

I am very glad that you met with Shelley and was able to correct your genre before you started putting in a lot of work into your final repurposing. I am confident in your abilities to take your Remediation and ePortfolio projects to the next level. I think it’ll be great for you to try different things as far as your theme and its aesthetics and step outside of your comfort zone. Anyone can offer you ideas and suggestions, and while they may be great, the ultimate decisions are yours to make and your final ePortfolio will have only one name: yours. So, I think that figuring out what you want to stress/reveal most in your argument, or where your inspiration is coming from will guide you to what theme and aesthetics that you wish to use. This is great opportunity to have fun learning what you can do/what you are best at, and what you may need more work practice in.

Also, I like your remediation idea of doing a short video. I think that doing a video itself is a great idea; however, after reading your repurposing project, which your remediation should mimic just in a different medium, I am not sure how you plan to do “A Day in the Life of…” with the material from your repurposing. Maybe for your final repurposing, you can somehow incorporate some information regarding the “day in the life” of a college essay reviewer. [?] If that does not work well with your project, then I still think that making a video is a great idea. Good job with stepping outside of what you already know!

I am very excited to see your amazing finished product!

Good Luck!
    -Chriss

2. Max,

Similarly to Chris, I was happy that Shelley was able to give you feedback before you completed your final draft. I immensely enjoyed the sarcasm and wit of your rough draft and didn’t know that about the genre conventions, either. Hopefully you aren’t too frustrated and are able to build on what you started!

In light of something Shelley mentioned in class today, I also wanted to take a moment to say that I particularly enjoy your voice in your writing. Despite our only interactions being in class, I can clearly hear you through your writing and am exciting to see how you continue to develop that through the rest of the semester and beyond. I already think your writing style is true to your personality and manner of speaking – well done!