Remediation Possibilities

Unfortunately, just as a few other classmates seemed to express in class on Tuesday, I also am disappointed and uninspired by my re-purposed draft. While I was writing it, I had one topic in mind, and then I completely changed topics because I got inspired by something else. My piece ended up being a Buzzfeed-style listicle and that is just a little sad to me. There’s nothing wrong with these articles, but I’m not sure that’s the direction I wanted to take.

My draft was a “9 things young dancers must know” open letter to the youngest generation of dancers who are just beginning their training. I wrote it from a perspective of someone who’s time as a dancer has come to pass, sharing the problems I see occurring in the dance world and how we can embrace change in the community without letting dance become an overly-competitive and unenjoyable experience.

If I were to re-mediate this draft, I would most likely make a Buzzfeed-style video. I’d try to make it appealing and humorous, filming young dancers from my studio back home and narrating with text, as well. If I’m really feeling ambitious, I’ll even go to some conventions (big, weekend-long dance events in hotel ballrooms where you take classes all day) and film and/or talk to some dancers there. It’d hopefully be entertaining but also get a real point across and be a little inspirational.

Another thought would be to literally make a Buzzfeed listicle. Change the formatting, maybe make it a scroll-kit, add some gifs and funny captions. People love gifs, it’s just a fact.

Also, I could re-mediate my original piece which was a final project blog post about dancers and how they use YouTube. The original post was intended for a non-dance audience and it simply showcased the ways in which dancers utilize YouTube to aid them in their dance careers. I think it would be really interesting to do a “making of” a dance YouTube video. I could do a documentary where I film one of my friends learning choreography off of YouTube, and then follow her as she edits, posts, and continues checking on and sharing the video. It can be a “how-to” or maybe a behind-the-scenes look at how these videos are made, and how they become successful.

Clearly I’m a little jumbled. So many ideas, so little time.