Remediation Project Ideas

So I have been going through past gateway portfolios and  reading everyone’s posts on the blog about their ideas for remediation in order to gain some inspiration for this project. However, I don’t want to do something that many people have done before.

To give you some background on my repurposed paper, the topic is the role of biopower in the lives of women, particularly the medical interventions that regulate bodily functions, such as contraception and FSD treatments. It is based on an assignment from a class I took last semester that was primarily academic and contained a lot of confusing terminology. My repurposed paper orients this topic towards the subjects of the piece itself, women.

While brainstorming ideas for the remediation project, I recalled something that a lot of people, including my close friends, don’t know about me- that I have a quirky appreciation and interest in graphic novels/comic books. I took a class in high school in which I read many different types of graphic novels and learned how to create my own. I have begun to consider remediating my repurposed paper into a sort of short story in graphic form. However, I worry that this will result in a juvenile looking comic book that won’t be taken as seriously as it should. An idea that stems from this one is creating a video similar to those by “ASAP Science.” For those of you who aren’t familiar with these videos, I would narrate my paper while I create illustrations that clearly demonstrate the ideas presented. I think that this would make my paper much more engaging. I haven’t come across either of these ideas in past gateway portfolios. Hopefully these ideas are not redundant. If you have any input as to which of these ideas you think I should do or any other thoughts please share!

One thought to “Remediation Project Ideas”

1. Hi Maddie, your remediation idea inspired by ASAP Science sounds fantastic! I haven’t encountered anything like that on the ePortfolios I’ve looked through so far, so I don’t think you have to worry about someone else using a similar idea before.
    Also, you might not want to dismiss your idea to make a comic book so easily. I don’t think it would come across as juvenile. I remember seeing something on Facebook (of course I forget the title of it) where someone made these 1-panel comics of women. These drawings and the text that came with them were designed to educate people about feminism and what it means to be a feminist. I think that if anything, creating a comic strip would result in a larger audience for your remediation piece.
    All the best,
    Joseph