Defining Priorities

Yesterday, the Friars had their 59th annual “Best Concert Ever” in Rackham Auditorium. I’m lucky enough to be a part of this a cappella group, and I’ve made some great friends thanks to my experiences as a Friar.

One of the best lessons I’ve taken from the group can be applied directly to my writing. I was one of the six new members of the Friars this year, and six is a huge turnover for an eight member group. Because of this, we’ve experienced some conflicts with where the group should go. The Friars are known as being a “comedic” a cappella group, but some of the new members (myself included) really wanted to focus on the musical element of our shows. This differed from the past few years, where putting on a funny concert was the priority. We realized that we couldn’t get our priorities mixed up; we’re an a cappella group first, and we joined the group because we enjoy singing. When we defined our goals, we were better able to put on a great show.

I found this articulation of goals to be helpful in my writing for this class. I was not sure which direction I wanted to take my “Why I Write” essay, but after writing down what I wanted my main point to be (as a point of reference), my second draft’s form was substantially better than my first’s.

One thought to “Defining Priorities”

1. Joseph I know exactly what you mean. I’m a part of a community service a capella group, and I always seem to battle with other veteran members about whether we should dedicate our practice time to the former or the latter. It’s very interesting to see how — even people with the same goals — can prioritize their motives and ideas so differently from your own.

I think it absolutely plays a role in writing. As an editor, I always have a ball seeing how different people cover the same events or types of events so differently. But through it all, the one thing that I’ve noticed is that it really, truly doesn’t matter, all that matters is that theres passion and enjoyment. Our class is a good example of this experimentation and differing priorities still culminating in similar goals. Since becoming and editor and contextualizing this realization, I’ve tried to apply it not only to my writing, but to my other clubs and organizations as well. I think whichever style of group you like can coexist with the preferred styles of your peers, as long as the enthusiasm is there for both parties.