All Songs Considered

I’m going to preface this blog post by saying that I do have other interests besides music! I swear! I know I keep bringing it up in examples, but I am capable of thinking of other things!

That being said, the blog I chose is called All Songs Considered. It is an offshoot of National Public Radio and covers current musical artists, issues surrounding the industry, and offers musical reviews. This blog is interesting because it utilizes a variety of forms to reach its audience. There are ‘traditional’ articles, op ed pieces, and advice columns. There is also a radio broadcast of the show on the weekends (also called “All Songs Considered”) and an archive of interviews and podcasts on the website. The most notable – and my personal favorite – aspect of “All Songs” is the “Tiny Desk” concert series. Various artists come and perform for Bob Boilen, host of “All Things Considered”, at his desk (located in his office, which has enormous bookshelves full of books you wish you were cool enough to read). The concerts rarely last more than 30 minutes and feature artists like BanksDiego El CigalaLeon Bridges, and (most awesomely) T – Pain.

The wonderful thing about “All Songs” is the breadth of music it covers. Yes, there are a lot of hipster-y, neo-folk, ambient pop artists and albums that are covered. But, the writers at “All Songs” treat artists like Macklemore and Pink Flyod without a hint of irony or blasé. I have yet to encounter a review that oozes the amount of pretentiousness that competing music blogs display. Although All Songs is definitely aware of their target audience (articles entitled “Songs that Make Us Cry” and “How Can Parents Make Time for Music?” pepper the main feed), their genuinely informative, fun writing style and unpretentious, varied presentation of a myriad of music styles and artists make it a great blog option for any music lover.

(Included are some random tracks from my own music library in attempt to mirror the wide range found on All Songs Considered)

Emily Cotten

Emily Cotten is a sophomore Vocal Performance major at the University of Michigan. She hails from North Carolina and enjoys reading, writing, and blasting opera hits in her car while driving down the highway.

3 thoughts to “All Songs Considered”

1. Emily, let me begin by saying I am relatively naïve and inexperienced when it comes to the music industry, modern artists, and perhaps even music in general. With that said, I am very glad you shared the blog All Songs Considered as I would never have stumbled upon this myself. I trusted your refined judgment as I entered the blog and jumped straight to the “Tiny Desk.” I then randomly chose a few videos to watch and was pleasantly surprised by the variety of songs I heard, sometimes even performed by the same group. I then listened to a few of the songs you posted directly and noticed many parallels. The genuine artistic talent displayed in both the “Tiny Desk” and in your personal songs was refreshing to hear in this time of auto-tune and lip-sync. All Songs Considered, in my opinion, is a very unique and refreshing blog, and I am glad you chose to share this with the cohort.

2. Emily,
    When it comes to music I am very open (except for heavy death metal–not really a fan of that). With that being said I also do not have an abundance of knowledge when it comes to the music scene. I always wonder how people come across new and catchy music that is not constantly played over the radio. Music is extremely broad, therefore I am glad to see a blog with so many different aspects to it. I enjoyed listening to the music, but also reading the reviews. A music blog is not usually where I would spend my time online, but I really did enjoy exploring All Songs Considered.

3. I have to agree that All Songs Considered is one of the finest curations of music available on the web. Another great one is FADER (although FADER is technically a magazine). In your post, you mentioned that you were impressed that All Songs Considered’s wide selection of music types and genres. I am curious to hear what other readers think of the following: NPR is, of course, a non-for-profit that relies on public and private funding to operate. Should they be actively promoting for-profit-artists? All Songs Considered started in 2000 with a focus of bringing new unsigned artists to the public light. This has changed recently, as NPR struggles to attract new, young listeners, they are pushing a more aggressively pop music agenda. For instance, today, NPR is streaming R&B / Rapper Fetty Wap’s new album (an artist who, is currently charting 4 singles on the top of the Billboard charts, an artist who hardly seems to need a non-for-profit’s help with the promotion of his new album). How does this conundrum affect people’s opinion of the program? I like the blend of pop and unsigned artists, but perhaps it would be best for major artists to make contributions to NPR if they would like to promote their work on the network’s platform.