I want to be a Christian blogger.

Lauren DeMoss Benson is a Christian blogger. (Disclaimer: If you haven’t read this in one of my previous posts, I am a Christian and I hope someday to write a blog about it.) When I began reading Lauren’s blog, The Full Time Girl, two years ago, I decided pretty quickly that I wanted to be just like her. Or at least write just like her. Since then, I have found other blogs written by Christian women, but I keep coming back to Lauren’s.

To introduce you to her writing, I chose to attach Lauren’s blog post, “Fifty Shades of…No way.” In this post, she writes (Okay, she rants) about the dangers of the erotic media trend, as seen in Fifty Shades of Gray.

“A lie has been sold to women across this country. A lie set down on black and white put into the hands of our mothers, and sisters, and daughters.” –Lauren DeMoss Benson, from: http://www.thefulltimegirl.com/2014/07/24/fifty-shades-of-no-way/

Start strong, Pinker advises. The two sentences above are the introduction to “Fifty Shades of…No way.” When I read it the first time, I thought, “WHAT IS THE LIE? I WANT TO KNOW THE LIE THAT IS BEING TOLD TO MY MOM AND SISTERS!” (I don’t have a daughter yet.) Lauren is an extremely strong writer. She always begins her posts with a statement that leaves me begging for more information.

Another tool Lauren uses is the visual mode. She often wraps up sections of her posts with a summarizing statement in bold font, such as, “I would sooner step out into a busy highway in front of oncoming traffic than to step out onto that slippery slope of “erotica/romance” since both would destroy my life.” Boom.

The other visual cue she utilizes is the inclusion of her favorite quote in image form.

"I have give my life to God, and my life too important to give my mind to Satan to dump into the meat grinder of all the lusts of the world." -Lauren DeMoss
“I have given my life to God, and my life too important to give my mind to Satan to dump into the meat grinder of all the lusts of the world.” -Lauren DeMoss

I don’t know about you, but sometimes I get bored when I have to read a long essay or blog post without any pictures. This tendency makes me feel like a four year old child reading a book before bedtime in my mom’s lap, but its true. My mind needs further stimulation. I enjoy when Lauren includes these images in her blog posts because it tells the reader what she believes her most important points to be. I hope to adopt this habit when I finally begin writing my own blog.

Another way I find inspiration for my writing is by reading poetry. This summer, a friend shared this poem with me.

WHAT TO REMEMBER WHEN WAKING

In that first hardly noticed moment in which you wake,

coming back to this life from the other more secret,

moveable and frighteningly honest world where everything began,

there is a small opening into the new day which closes the moment you begin your plans.

What you can plan is too small for you to live.

What you can live wholeheartedly will make plans enough for the vitality hidden in your sleep.

To be human is to become visible while carrying what is hidden as a gift to others.

To remember the other world in this world is to live in your true inheritance.

You are not a troubled guest on this earth,

you are not an accident amidst other accidents

you were invited from another and greater night than the one from which you have just emerged.

Now, looking through the slanting light of the morning window toward the mountain presence of everything that can be

what urgency calls you to your one love?

What shape waits in the seed of you to grow and spread its branches against a future sky?

Is it waiting in the fertile sea?

In the trees beyond the house?

In the life you can imagine for yourself?

In the open and lovely white page on the writing desk? — David Whyte

When I read this poem, I imagine walking through the morning in a scene such as this:

images

I do not write poetry, but I do write songs, and that’s pretty much the same. I hope that someday, my lyrics will inspire others like David Whyte’s words inspire me. His utilization of the pronoun “You” makes me think he’s speaking directly to me and that he believes in me, even though we’ve never met. His word choice is impeccable. I’ve never thought that hard about my mornings, but he paints a picture of the beautiful tenderness that comes when we wake up every morning. I long to paint pictures with my words.