Living in a Society of Readers

To me, writing is a method of expression of personal thoughts being made accessible to others. I like to use writing to help myself in understanding the world around me. It is also a way for me to create order out of mental intuitions.

I feel that I am at a point in my writing career where I am the only person who is able to benefit from the things that I develop. I aspire to be able to create a piece of work that is not only a learning experience for me but will also teach, help, or inspire those who read it. I think that writing is an awesome opportunity to contribute to the lives of the people around you.

As Brandt explains in “The Status of Writing”, writing is a way of “generating and sharing information”; however, reading and writing are different by the ways in which “they are accessed, practiced, and experienced” (p.142). When I write a piece, I have trouble with understanding how others might respond to it because, as the writer, I carry different experiences than those reading my writing.

In the text “Writing Reconstructures Consciousness”, writing is any “visible or sensible mark” left for interpretation, which is an idea that runs in line with the conclusion our class had come to after asking ourselves what writing actually constitutes as (p.83). I feel that I need to do a better job at being flexible with different mediums of writing and learning to express my thoughts in more creative forms. As I know from studying architecture, drawings tell stories, and so does art. I aspire to push myself to this extreme of varied medium in expression through writing.

Caroline Petersen

Caroline is a contributing writer to the Sweetland Minor in Writing Blog. She is an architect in training and spends a lot of her time sipping on cappuccinos and discussing elements of malfunctioning building features. She is a city girl who spent her elementary summers in the middle of Iowa at her aunt and uncles farm. She is a woman of many (unusual) facets that are traditionally fairly useless.

2 thoughts to “Living in a Society of Readers”

1. We share some of the same reasons as to why writing is important to us. For one, writing also helps me make sense of the world around me. In fact, I had a journal for a time (I slowly stopped adding to it), and writing in the journal provided me with an outlet to flesh out ideas in my head, creating opinions and drawing clearer paths of logical thought around interesting and new experiences in my life. Writing also has this effect, I think, sometimes inadvertently. Have you ever been writing something you were a bit unsure about, although still confident in, and then midway through the first paragraph decided to erase everything and take a slightly different perspective? Have you ever looked back on a piece in which you thought you said it all, but as you read it over you think of a million different things you could have mentioned? I also think you bring up an interesting idea about the writer-reader connection. When anyone writes, it can be nerve-wracking to think about how their work will be perceived. It can also be difficult to manage keeping the concepts and opinions within the writing comprehensible and understandable to anyone reading, so that one’s voice can be heard as it was intended to be and with little room for misinterpretation. This all being said, I am excited to work with you as we try and become better writers, pushing ourselves to gain even better command over our writing and our written voice, no matter the medium or context.

Wyatt

2. Hi Caroline,

Very interesting post. I love that you compare architecture to writing, because as I expressed in my post, I love to see the different kinds of abstract things people view as writing. I do honestly believe that almost anything can be described as writing, but I hardly think it’s a stretch to call something such as architecture writing: it is, after all, a written blueprint for something much bigger (almost the way a written speech is a blueprint for the speech itself). But more important than it’s definition is what writing means to us individually, and in focusing on that and not the definition itself I think you succeed in crafting a compelling post.

Chad