Modes of Communication

I had trouble completely comprehending the types of things this assignment was looking for. I need more practice learning the different modes of texts in the first place before being able to actively apply them to rhetoric around me. But I will give it my best shot!

Primarily, through my schoolwork I see myself most often using both visual and linguistic communication through the heavy workload of readings I have stacked myself with this semester. But, in day-to-day life I use myself using all five modes of communication (linguistic, aural, visual, spatial, and gestural) because of my constant interaction with my cell phone. For right now, I am under the impression that it incorporates all modes through the texting feature, the talking feature, the interactive games feature, the visual images, and the ability to customize the spatial layout. At least, that is where I am out right now in terms of understanding the different modes. I will get there!

I know that my cell phone, however, is not the focus of the different modal uses for this class. We have, though, read about blogging, and that is where my next example will come from. I feel that the web gives us the greatest chance to use the most possible modes of communication effectively. It opens a whole new world for textual interaction and understanding, greatly helped by interactive tools such as hyperlinks and pop-ups. I see the most similarity between texts produced for the Internet in the last ten years. It was around then that writers began evolving and creating a new realm to express themselves and make their words stick.

In terms of comparing two very different texts, the first thing that came to mind was scholarly articles and Internet websites. However, I then realized that scholarly articles do also incorporate their own form of interactivity if the reader is so inclined. They always have a reference page that will send the reader on to many more areas of research, hugely expanding their spatial mode. No matter the text, there will always be tendrils reaching out to encompass a giant web of information and related texts.

On that noteโ€ฆ I would love to learn some more about the types of texts these modes can contain.

2 thoughts to “Modes of Communication”

1. I really liked how in this post rather than focusing in on specific examples, you chose to generalize the modes you observed in your everyday life. My favorite part was about your cell phone, and how it incorporates all five modes in one device! I never thought about it like that, but now as I’m listening to music as well as watching videos or reading tweets, I find it fascinating that one tiny square of material can contain that much complexity. I really think you shouldn’t worry about how well you did at understanding this topic, I think you did a great job! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. I really liked your examples of the cell phone and blogging for this post. It’s true that these are both prevalent texts in our day-to-day lives and use many (if not all) of the five modes of communication. I also love that you end your post with an invitation to learn more about multi-modality. Curiosity is a wonderful thing ๐Ÿ™‚ As Nikki said, you did a great job!