Organic writing

Writing is a craft that has been present in the world for thousands of years, with its definition becoming more ambiguous as time progresses. I believe, in a very simplistic manner, that writing is simply the expression of thoughts and ideas by etching them onto another surface. Even though these etches can take variety of forms, they all have one thing in common; each one has a single defined meaning or can be joined with others to obtain a meaning, regardless of the language. Looking at the class’s gallery of what counts as writing, all of the answers had some form of text in it, which I believe to be a crucial component of writing.

As for what writing has to do with me, I believe it to be an integral part of who I am today, leading me to disagree with the notion that writing is artificial, external, and alien in Ong’s piece. While it may appear that way in society today, with politicians having their written pieces being politically correct to prevent public wrath, there is still that desire to express one’s true thoughts in the written domain, to be genuine in the content that is written (at least, that’s how I feel about writing). I can understand the idea that learning to write is artificial, since there are various rules and regulations to master in order to communicate a thought or idea effectively. However, once they are mastered, the writer can start to truly become genuine in his or her writing, allowing that person to truly become a writer in the sense of the word.

In high school, my English teacher would often say that my writing was inorganic. To him, organic writing didn’t mean to try and comply with his standards in order to obtain a good grade. He would argue that this is not the point of writing, that it was about letting your thoughts flow freely without fear of regulation or backlash; otherwise, you can’t express what you want to express to the fullest extent. This belief ties in with my goal for the minor, where I want to be able to have my writing become inherently expressive of who I am without needing to make it feel artificial.

Robert Molnar

Just someone who enjoys Netflix, music, and tennis. I also write a little.

2 thoughts to “Organic writing”

1. I think you make a great point about having to be somewhat artificial in order to master the rules of writing, so that you can then move past that artificiality and become more organic in what you produce. I think this principle can also apply to a lot of things in life beyond writing. Ex: you have to go through school, to get a degree, to make money and then hopefully once you’re stable enough you can continue to pursue the things you truly love. Or, ideally, the things you truly love are how you’re making money. I also think your goal of wanting to make your writing more expressive of who you are is definitely attainable and also very admirable. If you can figure out how to reflect yourself genuinely in your writing, I think the work you produce will be that much more impactful and expressive.

2. I think you bring up a really interesting point in discussing where writing is artificial or organic. I find that sometimes when writing a difficult paper for instance, writing can feel very artificial and inorganic. I may have to type out an outline, do some research, all practices that could be considered unnatural or forced. Yet often when I write about something I am passionate about, this feeling completely dissipates. In those circumstances writing feels like the most innate and natural practice I could possibly be doing, and my thoughts and fingertips seem to be inextricably connected. In this way, I think the question of whether writing is artificial or organic can be answered depending on the subject matter of which you are writing.