Perez is in, Paris is out…

The definition of a blog, according to Google search, is “a regularly updated website or web page, typically one run by an individual or small group, that is written in an informal or conversational style.” I cannot say that I religiously follow any blogs. However, when I think of one who blogs one person comes to mind. That is the television personality and famous blogger known as Perez Hilton.

Perezhilton.com is a main hub for acquiring juicy celebrity gossip. Although this blog will not teach you how to dress or how to bake a seven layer chocolate cake, it will keep anyone updated on the latest celebrity news. For many this blog may not have important meaning, however, anyone who has the guilty pleasure of following celebrity gossip has heard of Perez Hilton.

Marios Armando Lavandeira, a 37-year-old male from Miami, graduated from NYU, and began his career doing some freelance writing. He began blogging because he thought it “seemed easy.” Perez provides his readers with a constantly updated look inside the lives of popular people in the media.

Perez ruthlessly attacks any figure in the public eye. In a way, his blog serves as a mode of connection between ordinary people and celebrities. The blog is not all negative. Perez does find time to compliment and endorse those figures who he is a fan of. The name of the blog itself mocks celebrity and notorious famous-for-nothing starlet Paris Hilton. This blog is a funny and easy way to consume popular culture and keep updated with the latest celebrity gossip news. Although the main focus is celebrity coverage, Perez will write about anything in the media that he feels deserves to be mentioned or made a mockery of. The site consists of multiple sections which allows the reader to search, limit the genre of posts, and see what is currently trending.

I would say Perez’s blog is targeted for young adults above the age of 17, due to inappropriate content. The main audience attracts those interested in popular culture. I think that pop culture is the best descriptor for a genre of this specific blog. It covers everything from celebrity fashion to updates on celebrity trials.

Another aspect of Perez’s blog consists of tabloid photographs, which he doodles on. He attempts to not only exploit public figures with their wrong (or right) doings, but also add his own comedic twist to ordinary photos that could be seen in a magazine.

As Hilton’s blog became to grow in popularity, he began to make appearances and gave his opinions on celebrities and their behavior. Perez’s blog is extremely consistent. In an interview he once mentioned that he was in his blogging chair for over 12 hours, which is why I think it is so good. Although the validity of the information can be unclear, Perez serves as the link between the ordinary and the famous.

Allison Skaggs

Hello all! My name is Allison Skaggs and I am a junior at Michigan. I am from Orange County, California and decided to come to Michigan for a different kind of college experience! Currently, I am on the women's varsity water polo team and plan on majoring in Sport Management. Some things I enjoy during my time off are reading, swimming, attending sports games, and spending time with friends and family.

2 thoughts to “Perez is in, Paris is out…”

1. Allison, the formal definition of “blog” that you included in this post makes me think back to the first day of class, when we discussed what counts as writing. I find it interesting that the informal, conversational style often used by bloggers is noted in the very definition you chose to include. This relaxed, colloquial tone offers a more casual relationship between writer and reader, and in my opinion, that connection is what truly makes something a blog. Additionally, the lack of formal constraints in blogging opens the door for bloggers to not only write, but also supplement such writing with images, video clips, etc. Perezhilton.com serves as an excellent example of utilizing various mediums to relay information. But do the added images and video clips count as writing? Perhaps we all have different opinions on that.

2. Allison —
    I would be lying if I said that I have never enjoyed the ruthless commentary of Perez Hilton. I think that his biting wit and ‘take no prisoners’ attitude has been the key to his success. Perez’s tone, like you said, is incredibly informal and conversational. I think that the combination of those qualities and his brashness make his words ring true, thus creating a following (perhaps exigence?!). Perez says all the crazy stuff most people are too afraid to say, for fear of offending or being in the minority opinion. For better of for worse, this blog fills a pointed, wise-cracking niche in the world of writing.