Re: subjectivity

I feel like it’s easy to automatically add a value judgement when you call something writing or not writing. For instance, in one of my classes last year the professor said that whether or not you consider a false façade architecture (as opposed to just being part of a building) is a personal decision that every architect needs to make for themselves. Maybe it’s just because it’s more immediate to me, but I like to take this as an over arching statement for topics other than architecture (like writing). To elaborate, I’ll rephrase it: whether or not you consider [insert words here] writing is a decision every reader needs to make for themselves.

Admittedly, I struggled with some of the posts to ‘What counts as writing?’ because of this. A couple that stood out to me as particularly questionable were the cereal box, the calendar,  and social media posts. These items are all trying to communicate/inform something, but like we touched on in class though most (if not all) writing communicates–not all communication is writing. Squares and rectangles.

Then again, listening to everyone’s different and at times very similar expectations of what writing is in class makes me want to rethink this. Especially in conjunction with the Brandt reading. There are so many different mediums and forms of writing nowadays. I’m not sure that it really hit me until Brandt was going through all of the various types of professional writing  just how pervasive and nontraditional writing has become in our society.

I suppose this realization (which in hindsight seems like a long time coming) coalesces with my goals for the minor in that I’ve been looking for a way to branch out with my writing in various forms to help create an understanding between internal and external. By which I mean lining up what I’m thinking with what I’m writing without sounding like a buffoon.

Emily Post

Mostly books and buildings, with a hefty dose of veggie foods.

2 thoughts to “Re: subjectivity”

1. Hey Emily! I think you brought up some really interesting points that I haven’t thought about. I was too focused on thinking about what counts as writing as a general rule, I neglected to think about the thought processes and reasons why other people may or may not consider the same thing writing. Now that you said it, I agree that what counts as writing is subjective. I didn’t agree with some of the posts at first or with the discussion but now I think that writing extends beyond just written words, but that is my opinion as a reader. To me, it is very situational and requires some deeper interpretation. I also agree with some of your goals, I find I struggle to clearly say what I am trying to say. I look forward to both of us learning more and improving our skills!

2. Hi Emily! I enjoyed your reference to a false facade architecture and how, like in writing, decisions on what it is are based on subjectivity. I struggle with subjectivity at times because I want things to be black or white, not this wishy-washy, in-between grey color. At the same time, I see myself as an open person who believes that all opinions can be justified through a logical explanation. I think most of us are struggling with what really counts as writing now, and you hit the target when you said that every reader needs to make that decision for themselves.