Probably shouldn’t have done that…

When I originally started this project, I thought writing a script would be easy. All I would have to do is let my thoughts flow from my brain to the keyboard, and then do a little bit of editing. So, in accordance with my hubris, I made the decision to write the entire script the day it was due, thinking that it would be a simple task.

To be honest, writing a script has been one of the most excruciatingly difficult things I have done as a writer. It’s not because I cannot think of content, that part comes easy (at least, that’s what I like to believe). It’s guessing how an audience would respond to said content. Since I am creating a satirical video, I cannot assume that the audience would watch the video in its entirety. In an academic essay or news article, the reader would (sometimes) respectfully read what you wrote to the end, and then comment on the piece with their opinions. That’s not the case with video; if the audience does not like it, then they can simply turn off the program. As a result of this, I need to keep the audience’s attention, which creates another problem: finding the medium with regards to comedy. If I come off as too crass, then people will ignore the video because of my vulgarity. However, if I am not edgy enough with my humor, then I will be written off as not being funny enough for the audience I am attempting to pander too. Creating this script has been incredibly daunting, and I am unsure whether I need to start from scratch or do a couple of quick edits.

Yet that’s the beauty of writing a script. The uncertainty keeps me on edge, making me double, triple, quadruple check what I wrote down to make sure that I am personally satisfied with it. In previous essays, if there was a line or two I was not completely enamored with, I would be content; the overall piece was good enough to justify one or two weak sections. I can’t do that with a script, however; if one sentence is weak or questionable in delivery, then it can completely ruin the rest of the piece. It invigorates me in a way, having to make sure that what I write is what I really want to say, that what I really want to say is truly representative on my stance towards an issue.

Writing the script has certainly had its rough patches; I have enough awkward similes and metaphors composed to fill a book, and am still making more while I edit my draft. Yet, this style of writing is one that I am becoming more comfortable with. No longer is it alien for me to write sentences that being with the phrase “it’s like,” and it does not feel strange to place random monologues in the middle of a presentation. This video will undoubtedly be one of the greatest challenges in my career as a writer, but I know that the reward will far outweigh the struggles and that the lessons I will take from this project will be invaluable tokens that I will remember forever.

Robert Molnar

Just someone who enjoys Netflix, music, and tennis. I also write a little.

2 thoughts to “Probably shouldn’t have done that…”

1. Hi Robert,

I definitely relate to what you’re saying here, in the sense that the “reader” (in this case the viewer) can simply turn off your work if they’re not satisfied. While this is markedly different from anything we’ve ever done, I completely relate to wanting every line to sound perfect. Where in the past, if a sentence didn’t read right you would ignore it and write it off as “good enough,” I feel like since we’re creating things we genuinely love, we want our work to be that much better. While it may seem tedious for you right now, I think the quality of the script, and the piece as a whole, will benefit immensely from the hard and diligent work you’re doing to make it as good as it can be.

2. Dear Robert,

I really liked your similes and metaphors! And I agree the idea of keeping your audience engaged can seem daunting. I definitely don’t think you need to re-write from scratch, but I think for all of our projects we will end up changing them a lot before they are due. I can relate to the idea of wanting to be a perfectionist about your work and wanting to get it right in one attempt. However, I think through writing and re-writing we can make our projects as strong as possible. Keep up the good work!